Default Removing Transmission

I bought our boat earlier this year and have had a slight transmission leak ever since I bought it. I made up my mind that I was going to enjoy this season as a new boat owner and then fix the transmission this winter. All I had to do was lay down oil diapers every time before i went out and that kept the problem from getting everything oily. Now that the off season is approaching I am getting myself talked into tackling this. Let me start by saying that I am extremely mechanically inclined so doing the work & figuring things out is not a problem, but I would like to know if there are any do's or dont's that I should pay attention to so I don't regret doing this job myself. I have already eliminated the fact that it is not leaking from any of the cooler lines nor the plate on the bottom of the tranny, this is why I have decided to pull it and get a better look at things on my workbench. I plan on removing the v-drive / tranny & leaving the engine in the boat even though the dealers boat mechanic said to pull the engine. It looks easier to me to do it my way but hey I might end up regretting that. So any help from the pros would be appreciated.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's next???)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

I can't speak to the newer transmissions, but on the older stuff there isn't a place on the bottom that it can leak from. The leak can only come from the filler neck, the lines, fittings or cooler. Have you positively ruled all of those places out?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Have you positively ruled all of those places out?[/QUOTE]

Yes. There is no filler neck, just the threaded port on the top of the tranny. Like I said I've checked all the lines. The only thing I can now think of is either the input or output shaft seal. Can't see the plate on bottom just felt it, but when I put a wrench on the two bolts they were snug and dry.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's next???)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420