Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Folks,
    Thanks for your insight.

I have a 1990 Saltare that is mostly used for boating rather than skiing
    Sacrilege! Get a SeaRay! Just kidding.

I remember a 17' "Ski Boat" (J craft style) a buddy had with a big outboard. Put 4 people in it, get it up on plane, then plan 20 minutes ahead for your turn And that was an outboard, I can't imagine how bad that would have been if it was an inboard.

I know what Scruffy Saltare is referring to. I was with him at the Lake Geneva boat show. We discussed how the boats in the water were able to stop and start and remain straight in the water going forward or back. I know from experience that my Supra will always want to go right or left when power is added from neutral even at idle. Maybe this could be operator error but I do have an inboard with no skegs and it is not an issue. You are right that the boat seems to pivot at where the skegs are located which is a little different than just keeping the front straight with only the rudder and the movement of the transom. The skegs seem to add another dimension to steering. As for the Supra turning at high speeds it is a lot like the I/O. Takes a long time for it to go 180 degrees since I believe the skegs prevent it from not only flipping but pivoting. With my old inboard (no skegs) it wil turn on a dime by letting the back end come around. If you feel the need to do that maneuver with an oncoming wave you deserve to flip the boat. Just some insight based upon my experience with both boats.

I can turn 180 degrees in my boat almost on a dime at slow speed. I can also spin it around 180 degrees and "slide" the back end around at high speeds. I've never driven another inboard that doesn't go back to one side or the other. Then again, I may not have ever driven one without skegs.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.