Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are the 2 scags on the bottom necessary?

I have a 1990 Saltare that is mostly used for boating rather than skiing. My understanding is the scags provide stability for skiing especially in the turns, the boat will not side slip. However when operating the boat in very tight confinement the agility of the boat is significantly compromised. While at an antique boat show of Chris Craft's, Century's, Riva's and Streblows all the boats exhibited a high degree of maneuverability, nearly pivoting in place. By removing the scags will the maneuverability of the saltare improve? May be not to the degree of the Woody's but better than it is today? Your thoughts

I dont know for certain, but I would think they would have more effect at higher speeds as opposed to low speed Are you talking maneuverablilty at idle/slow speed or high speed?
    86 Saltare

I believe the scags provide stability at high speed when pulling skiers but limit maneuverability at low/idle speed. Thus turning the boat at low speed requires much more area with scags. As opposed to a boat without scags at low speed that can almost pivot in place when maneuvering in tight docking areas.

Skegs help to make an inboard turn on a dime and stick to the water at planing and higher speeds. At low speeds I wouldn't expect the skegs to have any significant effect on maneuvering around the docks. I would imagine there's not enough surface area to offer significant resistance. Personally my Saltare handles fine around the docks. I can spin it on a dime, basically rotating 360* in place. Without skegs the boat would be less stable in turns at speed and may tend to skip or sidestep in a turn on plane. What maneuvering deficiency are you hoping to correct or improve?

What Cadunkle said, granted I have a comp but I have 3 skegs under my hull and I can turn it real nice at speed and I can also turn/pivot the boat in a circle about 5 feet longer than the boat. Confined spaces are a breeze actually.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I had problems in tight spaces at first myself.

Then once I got the hang of it this inboard is easier to maneuver at low speed then anything else I have driven.

Like the guys said above she will turn in her own length.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape

As above, my boat with 3 fins can turn in its own length. Its just a matter of forward and reverse switching taking into account with the prop rotation effect.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

In short, yes, you need them.

You need the skegs! Since inboards are not the best at directing thrust for turns (especially low speed), the skegs serve as a fulcrum (pivot point) for the rudder action to turn against. Low speed maneuvering an inboard just takes a little practice & patience. I'm assuming your Salt is a LH rotation prop, so the ass is gonna pull starboard in reverse no matter the rudder position.

Don't fight it. To turn on a dime at low speed (always counter clockwise) - turn the wheel full port, nudge the throttle just until the trans engages forward & boat starts to move, then back to neutral and into reverse (keep the steering wheel full locked to port) until the boat stops forward progress & the rear starts pulling, repeat as necessary. You don't want any throttle, just idle speed with the trans engaged either direction. With a little time, you'll be spinning like a ballerina in no time.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I can just see one of these skipping across the water sideways like a jet ski.

Might be kinda fun till you catch a wake just wrong and flip over.

90 bravura 351 1.23/1pmc40 Pefectpass stargazer wake
    You only need two tools wd-40 and duck tape
    If it should move and doesn't wd40
    If it moves and shouldent duck tape