Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Left her with Donny today

I towed her up to Maryville and left her with Donny. He's going to wet sand and buff the topsides, sides, transom, and front V bottom back to about mid-ship. He's also going to repair some gelcoat scratches (gouges) near the bow roller location. He's going to have it for about 6 weeks since I'm not in a hurry and I told him to just work it in around his other stuff.

Speaking of which, I think my boat is the only TN boat there right now. He has several from Wisconsin and Texas. It's hard to believe that someone from Texas couldn't find a quality boat builder any closer. But it speaks well for Donny.

I'm pumped to see the outcome, but now I have 6 weeks to wait.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I give a big thumbs up to Donny Bennett. Quality workmanship - yes. Comfortable customer lounge - no.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    That's awesome! The ten foot rule won't apply anymore then? It already looked good, but knowing Donny's work it will sparkle for sure. --

Not surprised yours is the only TN boat. Last time I was up there he had one from Texas as well. A local dealer in TX had attempted to repair the gelcoat with metalflake and had no clue how to do it. It was a horrible job and the owner pitched a big fit. Being under warranty, Mastercraft paid to have it shipped to Donny since even their guys at the factory were skeptical in the repair. I think that speaks volumes about Donny's work.
    Yep, trying to do away with the 10' rule.

Actually one of the boats there right now is from an individual in Texas who towed it to Donny, left his tow vehicle there and flew back to Texas. He'll fly back and drive it home when it's done. Now that's some commitment to Donny.

Quote Originally Posted by ckracing View Post
    I give a big thumbs up to Donny Bennett. Quality workmanship - yes. Comfortable customer lounge - no.
    Amen to that! I was a little scared to sit in the chair in his office, but it held.

1986 Saltare

I plan on leaving my Denali somewhere local when I drop the boat off, might talk to the maintenance guys at our hangar in Knoxville and see about leaving it there while I fly home, otherwise I might just drive it down to Atlanta and leave it at my buddies house so he can watch it.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

i live in knoxville if i can help anyone out let me know

Well, apparently Donny is okay with you leaving it there also. The one from Texas is under a carport.

I'd be happy to offer storing it for you as well, but it wouldn't be under cover unless you're talking about next year when I have my barn built.

1986 Saltare

Thanks for the offer Rob, the Denali isn't a garage queen. In fact it only really goes inside any building either at the hangar or at the lake and that one is tight, front bumper 5 inches from the wall, back bumper 7 inches from the door.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    I towed her up to Maryville and left her with Donny. He's going to wet sand and buff the topsides, sides, transom, and front V bottom back to about mid-ship. He's also going to repair some gelcoat scratches (gouges) near the bow roller location. He's going to have it for about 6 weeks since I'm not in a hurry and I told him to just work it in around his other stuff.
    Mind me asking what he is charging you for that work? PM is fine if you want. Dude your boat already looked good. A fresh wetsand and some polish is going to make it insane.

Since Ngavdba never sent me any info on his stringer repair either, I'm just guessing on what Donny can do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I plan on leaving my Denali somewhere local when I drop the boat off, might talk to the maintenance guys at our hangar in Knoxville and see about leaving it there while I fly home, otherwise I might just drive it down to Atlanta and leave it at my buddies house so he can watch it.
    I got a giant parking area in front of my shop if you want it. Motion lights, security, dogs, and an owner armed to the teeth. Just make sure to leave the keys, and don't look at the odometer.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Mind me asking what he is charging you for that work? PM is fine if you want. Dude your boat already looked good. A fresh wetsand and some polish is going to make it insane.
    Thanks Haugy. As Daniel was referencing, it looks pretty good from 10' feet away, but get any closer and you can tell the gel is a little tired. I mean it is almost 27 years old. I know there is a new, shiny life under there and I want a professional to bring it out. Plus, I'm having him fix a few gelcoat gouges that I don't want to fight with mixing gelcoat pigments.

I don't think Donny's pricing is a secret, so I'll somewhat answer that here. His rate is $80/hour and I think that goes for whatever he's doing. We discussed several different ways of attacking my gel, and I'm sure more severe cases would require a different approach than we're taking with mine. It just depends on what you want him to do. He's going to have between 20-26 hours in mine. And if it takes him less time, then that's all he charges. If it's more, then it's on him for under estimating. This is another reason for going to see him. He's good, but just as important, he's fair.

As a side note, he works on lots of brands, but it was a little heart-warming to see more Supras there than any other brand. He had two Comps already split and had a Saltare waiting to be split. He knows these boats, and it shows.

1986 Saltare

I just got the call from Donny that he's done. I hope to go up tomorrow afternoon and bring her home. Pics to follow.

1986 Saltare