Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WTB (want to BUILD !) Supra Saltare Trailer

Hello Guys,
    As you know, I have an European Trailer under my boat. It's uggly and it scared most of you guys, because too short, not large enough (rims are under the hull and not each side of it), the boat is highly positionned from the ground etc etc.

I would love to have an US factory (look) trailer for my boat, but unfortunatly they are rare in US and just non-existent in France.

So, I plan (it's maybe just a dream) to build (with help of a friend trailers builder) my own US look trailer for my boat.

Does anyone have the original building plans for the Saltare trailer ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I don't, but I'd be happy to take measurements of mine to help.

I've got a bunch of pictures of mine when I redid it if you would like for reference. They are all of the trailer only, not boat on it.

I'm interresting in your measurements and pictures haugy. Hope it will not take you days to do !
    I will then draw it on autocad and put it on my ftp to share if you are agree.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I've got a lot going on this week. Do you mind waiting till this weekend so I can take my time and get very detailed and accurate measurements? There are a lot when you think about the beams, angles, widths, drop, etc.

Here are some pictures to get your mind working till I get those to you. They are of my rebuild, so some look awful. But this should give you lots of different angles to see the trailer.

Also, you'll probably want to order a tongue, axles, bakes, spindles, leaf springs (or torsion axles) etc from the US. These are all pretty much "standard" items and should be available from lots of places. I'd probably go with the torsion axles because they would be a lot easier to ship.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

@haugy

Yes, take your time, it's not in the hurry thanks for your pictures. What kind of brake system is there on your trailer ? Is it electrically controled, hydraulic, mecanical ?
    How the V pieces of the frame are made ? Is it straight parts wich as been curved ?

@wotan

No, I will use all those things from my actual trailer. All the US tong, brakes, lights etc. are not EU approved. So the trailer will be a mix between US/EU system. Means a US look, but EU accessories, with mecanical brakes, EU lighting system etc.
    Last edited by Sdc77; 10-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    @haugy

Yes, take your time, it's not in the hurry thanks for your pictures. What kind of brake system is there on your trailer ? Is it electrically controled, hydraulic, mecanical ?
    How the V pieces of the frame are made ? Is it straight parts wich as been curved ?
    Yes I will make measurements to show angles as best as I can. My plan is to make all my measurements, and then I will lay the measurements over the images above so you can reference them easily.

The brakes are hydraulic, that are actuated by the weight of the trailer moving forward. The trailer tongue slides and pumps a hydraulic cylinder which puts pressure to the brakes. The V-pieces are straight box steel that has been bent. The center of the channel on the inside radius of the bend is dimpled (indented) in to create a smooth crease at the bend. I will take pictures for you.

It's some pretty thick walled steel at those bends that hold the boat up.