Default Curious on the history of the Legacy

I own a 2002 Legacy. It appears to be the same hull as the 22ssv and the Sunsport 22. If that's true, then why in 2002 was the Sunsport and the Legacy manufactured. They seem to be identical boats. I also see that it seems it evolved from an open bow Comp (slightly stretched) into the Sunsport according to the dimensions in the archive. I was hoping some of the folks at SC could shed some light on the evolution of these models and maybe some others. Thanks

Default Replying to Topic 'Curious on the history of the Legacy'

You have asked some a good questions. To answer your first question the difference between a Legacy and Sunsport in 2002 is that the Legacy features a Walk-Thru bow and the Sunsport features a play pen configuration. To give you a idea behind the logic, we manufacturer on "platforms". In 2002 we had a 20' platform, 21' platform, and a large 22' platform. Platform manufacturing allows us to utilize some of the same tooling within a particular platform, while still offering variety in interior configurations. This is in an effort to increase efficiencies in tooling, assembly, and inventory costs. This is one of the major reasons that we are able to offer a lot of variety, without a lot of cost. Today we have four platforms 20', 21', 22', and a 24'. Hope that answers your questions and thanks for your interest. Jay Warren Marketing Manager

A question then... to anyone who cares to reply. If standardization of platform construction allows such variety then why cant I get a Launch with a walk through bow? At least I couldnt in 2004. If im understanding correctly that the above processes allow for multiple configurations without significant cost issues (changing out jigs and tooling) why are not all options offered on all boats? Is the size of the playpen used in the sunsport platform a different size than the playpen in the launch platform?

Matt,

I'm gonna take a shot at this. Maybe someone from SC can confirm or deny my theory. When they make our boats, they make them out of two (or maybe 3) different pieces. The bottom hull and the top deck. They will have a mold for each style hull and each style deck. They can and do share hull bottoms, and possibly the tops too between the Wakeboarding Launch line and the Luxury Line (Comp, Sunsport, Santera, Sunsport V). I compiled a list of the different hull styles for 2004 below:

Direct Drive 19'11" and 95" Beam
    Comp LTS
    Launch LTS

Direct Drive 21'2" and 98" Beam
    Launch

Direct Drive 21'8" and 95" Beam
    Sunsport
    Launch SS

V-Drive 21'8" and 95" Beam
    Santera
    Sunsport V
    Launch SSV

Notice how the standard Launch is the only model with the 21'2" hull. Every other hull design is shared between two or three models. Also I'm willing to bet the Comp LTS and Launch LTS share a deck mold. Same with the Sunsport sharing one with the Launch SS, as well as the Sunsport V sharing one with the Launch SSV. If you take away the bright paint, decals, and towers, they pretty much look the same. The Santera would have had to had its own top deck mold because it had that funky looking walkway beside the motor (I'm not saying thats a bad idea, but it still looks funky).

Now here's my theory. They use different top decks for the walkthrough and playpen models. Also, they have to have separate decks for the different size hulls. Every different deck is gonna need a separate mold to make it in. It was probably just an choice of economics. SC probably didnt think it was worth it to make two different deck styles to fit the 21'2" hull when that hull is only represented by one model (i.e., the Launch).

Thats about the only way i can reason it out. Maybe Jay will come back and confirm or deny for us.

Cheers,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Sound reasonable... But my confusion is this, and just to clarify... The 21'2" hull was the basic launch hull. The deeper version. The Sunsport (SSV, LaunchSS and gravity games edition of that year) were all in the same 21'9" hull. The Sunsport had the option of either walk through or playpen but the smaller launch did not. Maybe the top deck platform on the launch was not manufactured both ways like the sunsport was. But my question was... Why not?? Is it simple economics (supply vs demand) or is it truely two different top decks? If the option was on the sunsport line (walk through vs. playpen) is it a totally different top piece or just a different install piece to include the oversized (basement) storage lid with a vinyl top?? It looks like if you were to remove the lid to the basement in the playpen option and add a carpeted cover to the ski well than you would have a walk through bow. It doesnt seem economical to construct an entirely different deck just for this option. The reason Im so curious about this is that I am a direct drive fan. When I upgrade, I dont want to give up the walk through bow either. I certainly dont want to downsize to the LTS (comp with a tower).

Well, as it turns out... you can all pretty much disregard all my last jibborish. When I purchased my SunSport in 2004, one of the main things that turned me off about the launch was the inavailability of a walk through bow. I assumed that was still true with the launch of present day. However, while looking through the 2006 models I noticed a picture of the Launch 21 with a walk through bow. So one of two things... either my dealer was incorrect or that has changed in the last few editions. Anyway~ There is a direct drive with a walk through bow other than the LTS