Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Replying to Topic 'Towing with the Cover'

Ed,

You are on the money in regard to the straps. As posted earlier, you must tie up the loose ends to keep the straps from touching the gel coat. I usually tie them back into each other with multiple overhand knots to avoid contact with the gel coat. If the straps flap against the gel coat, you WILL dull the finish. Cotton cording is the best I have used, and do not need duct tape. The cotton cording is a softer material than the nylon strapping.
    Doug S.
    1999 Supra Legacy

We have towed our 06 sunsport 24 twice. The first time the rubbing marks from straps came off with a wet towel. The next week we took it on a roadtrip. When we got home we went out the next weekend and we took the cover off, the rubbing marks from the straps had gone through our supra decal and made black marks that could not be removed. All in all don't ever drive with cover unless you absolutly have to in rain or snow. We are going to buy another decal soon.

I have a snap on bow and cockpit covers and they work great. 70+mph with no problems.

I went with the fitted Rankin cover which is supposed to be towable without straps or snaps. It better be for the price!

Senna,
    Be careful, the strapless covers are generally mouring covers for use when your boat is stationary... it may say towable but I think I would strap it down somehow... if only as a safety measure in case if flies off

We always spilt tennis balls and wedge between the straps and the boat. Works great...

I brought this thread up so I need to give a update.

Over the 4th of July Holiday going to tablerock I really need to attempt to use the cover since we had so much stuff going on the trip.

I took someone's advice and went to Lowes and purchased some round pipe insulation. (1 inch I believe). Before I tightened the straps I put a piece on the round stuff around the strap just barley under the boat going up the strap to the buckle. Then I tightened the straps and taped the extra with black electrical tape to the insulation.

I stopped 3 times on the trip to check and not a single problem with any gel coat. It worked perfect.

db

One more note. I quit towing my boat with the snap on cover as well unless I have to. My dealer informed me that it will void the cover warranty. Anyone else heard this?