Default Launch21v Ski wake

What is the ski wake like on the Launch 21V with the plate all the way down? My family is looking to buy a Launch 21V. We know the boat is not designed for skiing but we only like the seating configuration of V-drives.

Default Replying to Topic 'Launch21v Ski wake'

I do not know about the 21v, but i here the 22 ssv had a very good ski wake and wakeboard wake.

V-drives are passable for recreational, cruising-around-behind-the-boat type skiing only. If you're wanting to do wake crossings with any velosity at all forget it. Slalom course skiing is out of the question, the wakes are much too large. For anything even approaching serious skiing IMO a v-drive ain't going to get it. If you want to both ski and wakeboard to at least an intermediate level you'll be much better served with a direct drive, i.e. the new Launch 20 or perhaps a late model Legacy. The Launch 20 is the same hull as the Comp 20 but with a tower and ballast system. If you can't get past the motor being in the center of the boat you're probably not interested in "serious" skiing, in which case you may be perfectly happy with the v-drive.

I'm an old slalom dog, used to run the course all the time, and I love skiing behind our '05 Launch 21V. The wake at 32-34 is fine, and if I really want to flatten it out I add some water to the bow ballast bag. I bought this boat for my boys to wakeboard/wakeskate, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoy slalom skiing behind it.

Sorry guys, but I have to go with Ed on this one. Yes you can add bow ballast and flatten out the plane of the boat, but weight displacement, hull size and the places people will sit all effect wake. I have skied both the Direct drive sunsport and the Santara (V-drive) same hull and there is a significant difference. That is not to say that you cannot aggresivly ski a v-drive. Hell I learned to ski behind a 1978 Starcraft double scoop hull with a 150hp Mercury outboard. It really boils down to what your used too.