Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propellers

Default Propellers

Alright gearheads... and prop heads!! A general question, hopefully simplified about prop selection. As we all know, Factory direct drive spinners (2004) were a 4 blade NiBrAl 13x13x1LH. I have been looking around for a spare prop and came across a rather reasonable (dirt cheap) 3 blade 13x13x1LH. This would be a back-up to the OEM so I am not really looking for any gain in performance, just similar abilities if somthing should happen to my factory spinner. Anyone have any experience with this?? Any recommendations??

Default Replying to Topic 'Propellers'

My 2000 Legacy came from the factory with a 3 blade 13x13 nibral. I did upgrade a year later to a 4 blade nibral, the 3 blade is now my backup (which fortunately I haven't needed...yet). I think you'd be fine with it, and if it's a good deal why not?

The 3 blade was fine but I like the 4 blade better, better hole shot and I think it improved the wake slightly.

I'm not sure where i read it, but i think the general rule for going from a 3 to a 4 blade is that you should drop an inch in either pitch or diameter. This prop would probably be a little too "short" for you, but would be fine as a backup. I would just avoif WOT runs on that prop just make sure you dont overrev. I just wish i could find a good deal on something close to mine to have as a backup. I always hate being without the boat for a week when the prop has to go to the shop (there are a lot of logs and trash on my lake). Mine is a 14x16 b/c my boat has the 1.23:1 tranny, and i havent seen one yet. I just keep my eyes peeled for a good deal. If anyone happens to run upon one, i'd appreciate a PM.

Cheers,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Thanks for the info guys... Bama when you say short do you think I shoud increase diameter, pitch or both? Like I said, Im just looking for a backup so if I do need to have some work done it doesnt take the boat out of commission. In regards to picking up props... look at ebay every once in a while.... there is not much there now but I just picked up a 14x18x1/18 Nibral (For dads Tige) for $47.55. Listed as used but no nicks or dings... looks new. Its an OJ Force 4 retail is $358.00 too good to pass up.

Ed,
    Do you remember if there was a significant RPM/WOT when you upgraded?

Bama,

Check out http://parts.listings.ebay.ca/Boats-...istingItemList

There is a company that has your new 14x16x 1 1/8 Prop. Not much of a bargain though... I think they are $249.95.

Bama,

Check out: http://parts.listings.ebay.ca/Boats-...istingItemList

Not sure what your shaft size is but there is a listing for a new 14x16x11/8 for 249.95. Not much of a bargain but better than the 350+ that most shops are selling them for.

No noticable difference in WOT RPM, and I don't think I lost much if any top end. I seldom have ever taken this boat WOT, no good reason to except to pull the very occasional barefooter. Not sure of the pitch on the 4 blade, I think it's a 14 but not positive. I got it from a buddy who was running it on a 99 Comp, he sold the boat and sold me his 4 blade (put his original 3 blade back on it to sell) so I knew it would be a match.

Last year I tested props for my 04 LTS. Stock was a 13x13 SS 4 blade. I tested three
    nibral 3 blade props, 13x12.5 -- 13x12 -- 13x11.5. The 13x12.5 had almost no difference in RPM or top end with a little slower hole shot (1/10th of a sec.) The props I tested were all O.J. CNC matched. If the prop you are thinking of buying is not CNC matched you will probably notice a little more vibration but the overall performance
    will be real close.

Alright... Stupid question. Can anyone tell me, by looking at a prop, how to tell if its a LH or RH rotation? My assumption has always been that the broad side of the blade would be on the opposite side on one vs the other. I went to Skidim.com and the photos of the props are identical in regards to blade position. I purchased a 13x13LH from ebay but when I received it, stamped on the hub next to the dimensions is an arrow that suggests a right hand or clockwise rotation.