Default Adding a sub to '05 21v need some help with enclosure

So I purchased a second amp and sub to add as a winter project to my boat which did not have a sub in it before. I was given a lot of help by the place I purchased the equipment from as far as what kind and size enclosure to use but am having a bit of a problem. When I took the kick plate down under the drivers area, I have a ton of room for the correct enclosure except for the wires coming up through the floor. Has anyone added a custom enclosure to this boat that can give me some info on what you did. What I was thinking is if I cut a slit in the floor that I could slide the wires down to get them out of the way. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

What kind/size did they recommend, and what equipment are you putting in the boat?

I bought a 12 inch jl 12w3 and the enclosure recommended is a bass-reflex (tuned port) that is 2.966 cu ft. With dimensions I took the first size template I built to try was 17” H X 21” W X 15” D. I can change those measurements up a bit (as I stand now need to take an inch off width) but if I could just get the box past those wires and cables I would be good to go.

Are you building a sealed, bandpass, or ported enclosure?
    Sorry, just saw that you put ported in your post.

I would put a little more time into the design of the enclosure and design a section of the box channeled out for the wires before I would cut the floor out. but that's just my .02. You wouldn't be robbing that much airspace and might be able to go deeper in your design to make up for the lost width and channeled out section.

I am planning on taking a lot of time to do it the right way. Are you saying you would cut the floor or wouldnt? I was thinking not cut it all the way out but just put some kind of slit that i can slide the wires down a little ways but keeping the same angle and everything on them so they arent kinked. Right now the template box I made would fit where I want it to go which is actually behind the wires but I just can get the enclosure past the wires since they are right in the middle

I wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Luke

On a few Malibus, we have lengthened the pass thru hole for the ballast hose and steering cable for exactly what you are trying to do. It was necessary to push them back a little in order to gain a little but much needed enclosure depth. So, take a light and look into the hole. Feel around as well. As long as the direction you plan to cut is into the bilge, then there should not be any issue.

As far as the box goes, with any sub enclosure, getting the internal volume correct is key. With a ported enclosure, shape of the box and port design and volume is next on the list of importance. You will not have quite the flexibility with the shape of your ported enclosure as you would if you were doing sealed enclosure. So notching the box around cables may be doable, but could end up effecting the port design and its exit point, thus complicating the build. I would look at moving the cables first then adjusting the LxHxW to accommodate the cables while trying to keep the net volume the same. Keep in mind though, adjusting those dimension will change the ports opening and length. This will change the tuning frequency, so those port dimensions will also need to be adjusted.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio