Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Michigan allows you to tow what they call a recreational double. It consists of a pick up truck towing a fifth wheel with a flat trailer (boat or atvs) behind that with the restriction that the truck, fifth wheel and second trailer do not exceed 75 feet. It requires a special endorsement on the drivers license here but none-the-less it's a possibility.

14530970.jpg
    '89 Conbrio

There's a good number of states that allow double towing and the list of them and their restrictions can be found here: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

The issue is that travel trailer (and 5th wheels) do not have a substantial frame to tow anything of weight. I've double-towed some PWCs, but I'd be scared to tow something as heavy as one of our boats without some serious customization to the subframe of the middle trailer.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

That double towing just looks freaky as hell! I have seen 18wheelers do it with smaller trailers, but still looks freaky! You would definitly need some additional frame set-up under the R/V trailer......and you better make sure you do not have to back out of anywhere with a double trailer. Good luck on your decision.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    There's a good number of states that allow double towing and the list of them and their restrictions can be found here: http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

The issue is that travel trailer (and 5th wheels) do not have a substantial frame to tow anything of weight. I've double-towed some PWCs, but I'd be scared to tow something as heavy as one of our boats without some serious customization to the subframe of the middle trailer.
    You can expect to see my middle finger (well... if I ever find enough room to pass you) if you're doing this through the mountains of Colorado. Almost wore out my middle finger last year trying to get around these 30mph jerks.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by suprasam View Post
    ......and you better make sure you do not have to back out of anywhere with a double trailer. Good luck on your decision.
    Yeah, let me tell you about that. I was towing double and following a friend. He had a flat on the interstate and pulled over on the shoulder. It went fairly quickly into a steep ditch, so once you pulled the rig off the road, there was no more room to your right.

I pulled up right behind his rig, and got out to help change his tire. Well, the flat tire caused something to instantly overheat with the AWD system and the SUV caught on fire. We grabbed extinguishers, but by the time we used them, the fire was too big. We now have his SUV engulfed in flames with a travel trailer behind him that had 80 lbs of propane in it. And I'm right on his trailer bumper with double trailers attached to me. And oh yeah, the SUV is a billowing inferno that could explode at any minute (and then it'd be the trailer's turn to burn and explode).

I have to back up the double rig in a hurry and under pressure. Long story short, I did manage to back up the double trailer about 100 feet. We then unhooked the travel trailer from the burning SUV (and that's about as fun as it sounds), and was able to push/pull the trailer away from the burning truck. The truck did have a small explosion and burnt to the ground.

So yeah, I agree with Suprasam, it's better to make sure you don't have to back up.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Hey Titan did you have to change your shorts afterwards? I recently had to deal with a car fire.....my son was driving to school and here is what happened with an oil leak! BTW not a great call to get heading to work " hey dad um what should I do, Im in front of the school and the car is smoking a ton" UM HOW ABOUT GET OUT OF THE CAR! (sorry to get side tracked from post)Audi Burning.jpg
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Car-b-ques are never pleasant... I used to fly traffic watch flights and every year when the temps would start to warm up there would a rash of cars catching fire. One time a semi caught fire that was carrying a bunch of hydrogen peroxide... That sucker was fierce and spitting fireballs a 1/4 miles away!!!
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

OKIE!! I'VE GOT IT!!!

I'll tell ya what, you bring your boat down here next summer, and I'll hang on to it. Then all summer you'll know what it feels like to NOT have a boat. Then, when you realize that you miss it, all you'll have to do is come down and get it.......................

Next winter that is.

I've heard that the best day for a boat owner is the day you sell. I don't buy it though. For me, it's too much of a passion - always has been since I can remember. My BEST memories are from the more than 40 years I've been boating. I too would like to get back into camping, but don't want to invest in an RV to tow the boat. A truck camper would require a new truck since mine is only a half-ton. I would go for tent camping (have all the stuff in my basement) but my wife doesn't want to do that anymore . . . says her tent camping days are over. Some lakes we go to have cabins, and the river I frequent in the summer is only a mile away with a boat ramp ten minutes away. I guess I'm lucky to have a family that still enjoys it - not sure what I would do if they were not "on board".

Okie - you gotta do what you gotta do I guess, but I'd hate to see you sell and then regret the decision. You can't replace your boat for what you've got in her. Too many times I've regretted selling this or that, usually vehicles.

On a side note . . . . I have thought about selling mine, but only to buy a newer model. However with 2 boys in college and another starting in less than 2 years I think it will have to wait! No worries . . . I still love my girl!
    Last edited by csuggs; 12-01-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com