Default Texans: When do I need to winterize?

I moved from Boston to Austin, and I have no idea when I need to call it quits and winterize. I was out on lake austin today and it was like 80, so the innate timing built up over decades in the northeast is quietly freaking out in the back of my head already

As soon as the boat might to be exposed to freezing temps. Its better safe than sorry.

My buddy in Austin says don't winterize, keep riding. Was also out on lake Austin yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Im still out on the water. I winterize(drop lights on the manifolds) only if its about to freeze. Other than that, I start it every week. Never had a problem

This past weekend I changed all my fluids (engine, trans, vdrive) then got it on the water and thought I was nuts. The temp as 83 and water was 70 deg. Got back to storage then drained and shop vac'd all the water out of engine / hoses. Evacuated the ballast system as well. Pulled all the spark plugs and shot fog oil into the cylinders. Took off the K&N filter to bring home and clean and re-apply oil. With the holidays on the way and college kids comming home, I don't want to be up at storage one night after work doing this in 30 deg weather.

I wussed out and winterized last weekend. All it costs me to put it back in running shape is 20 minutes or so, so if it gets warm and I want to use it I still can. If I kept the boat at my house I'd just put a heater in the engine bay on a thermostat and leave it like that, but since it lives at a storage yard right now, that's less of an option, without a big battery and solar charger or some such thing.

I usually winterize the first week of December or so but I'm a little father east than you in Trinity. Really depends on the year. Last year you probably didn't need to at all, the year before that it was a must

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV. Full Exile System. Can you hear me now?