Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    No. Not static at all. Ride usually once a month at least. visit http://narcoa.org/presentation/presentation.htm and it will tell you what would take me an hour to do.
    Heading to south GA after Christmas to ride 250 miles over 3 days.

Awwwww crap, well I finally find something fun to do for the family and ditch the Harley.

Daniel how fast do these things go? 20mph? And since I'm a safety nut (read: paranoid), how do they coordinate with train traffic? I like to be in control with my families safety, and being stuck on a track does create limitations to that.

That looks like an awesome fun time though. I bet you see some amazing scenery. I love trains, I just never knew they had these for a more personal aspect of it.

Plaster, meet sledge hammer... After that, I would like to introduce you to the mighty shop vac.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Let me get this straight....you're a safety nut (paranoid) yet you ride a Harley? That is hilarious because every person I've ever met that has ridden a bike has laid it down once or twice.

If you clicked the link I posted, you would see on the pics they show that everyone is wearing a safety vest and all rules are mandated from the FRA (Federal Railroad Admin.) which means every rule that applies to an engineer in a diesel applies to us equally except we must stop at all crossings. The individual railroad may have additional rules or regulations which we must adhere to. The individual coordinator can also apply any rule he wants as well if deemed necessary.
    Those that participate understand this hobby like no other is a privilege and not a right. We are guests on private property and must maintain high standards to be invited back again. We could lose this hobby instantly if someone decides to blow a crossing putting themselves or others in danger. We self police and pretty much stick to having fun rather than acting like idiots.
    We are licenced and insured which you must pass a written rules test and then be mentored on the rails before allowing to operate your own car which is pretty simple. All cars are inspected before every run and we have a safety meeting before we head out on the rails which let us know which crossings might be bad or have heavy traffic. We travel a lot on old rail that has bad joints and we try to troubleshoot any problem spot to avoid derail.
    If we reach a highway or dangerous intersection we will flag those crossings in person if the coordinator feels comfortable and doesn't want to put down the crossing gates.
    The flags also double for slowing and stopping which we must display along with mandated brake lights. Most guys have radios and we must have horns as well which adds to the fun as we go over the top and buy the real train horns. We have a lot of retired train engineers, railroad personnel and mechanics so if you break down, someone usually can fix your car if possible, but you must have tow bars and we are always responsible for the car behind us once we travel. We use strobes and flashers constantly.
    And the question I get the most is "What do you do if a train is a coming?" My answer, "JUMP!"
    We don't ride in the same block as a train. If we are meeting a train then we have certain time limits and must be on the siding before it passes. That is the job of the coordinator to make sure we don't meet at the same time. We aren't riding on the Class One railroads like UP, CSX or NS rather we ride on regionals, scenics, shortlines or abandoned rails.
    I hope that explains a little in regards to safety.

My 2 cycle single cylinder has reached 29 mph on one or two occasions but that was with a slight downhill grade and someone very stupid behind the controls. (ME!) We average 15-20 mph and that is very sufficient riding with steel on steel. You can go faster on runs at other flat parts of the country and/ or on welded rail. But yes, they can hit 40-45 easily on the bigger cars that have diesels or that have 4-6-8 cylinders.

Search Youtube for Fairmont Speeder(s), Motorcars, or Narcoa and you will find many related videos showing some runs. Here is one I like. It shows about every different type of car. At 18:12 is a good clip coming by the factory. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Z7p3FNk58

First, yeah I rode (key word) rode a Harley. I am a safety nut, but that magnifies when my family is involved. When I rode, it was full gear and full face helmet everytime. No poser crap and t-shirt. I say rode past tense, because I haven't ridden since my son was born. I kept the bike because it's a very rare bike in rare condition. But, it is just wasting away. Doing dumb thing by myself is one thing. But I will never put my family at risk. That's also why my bike is a single seater, my wife never rides.

I did read the link you posted, and that just seems like a good time. Thanks for all the info. I may look into this more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Plaster, meet sledge hammer... After that, I would like to introduce you to the mighty shop vac.
    As a guy that owns a house built in 1918, this is absolutely true. I spent years trying to "repair" or "work with" plaster. Now I just smash it out and sweep/suck it up. The lathing makes for great fires, too.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yeah, old houses are a pain to renovate, but its exciting! Before I had my motorcycle accident that paralyzed me I was a licensed plumber here in NC. So I have lots of experience doing these kinds of things! It is a nice break from the boat. We have roughed in the new pipe so far and will be starting to install everything here in the next few eeks. Hope to have this bathroom done by the new year.
    "Where There's a Will, there's a way!"

Check out my 1987 rebuild thread here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-Resto-begins.

Well here is my december picture for now.

Looks similar to Will's bathroom project doesn't it?
    Except your tub is full of water.
    LMAO!! yes yes it does

My friend that is replacing my stringer is lucky that I have to clean up all the foam and not him. Oh well time to call on the friends who were out on the boat with me this weekend to help me out. I am glad to get it fixed because they did a ghetto rig job to fix the floor without having to replace the stringer. Trying to help out this 30yo boat to stick around for several more year.

Quote Originally Posted by a_deleon View Post
    Well here is my december picture for now.

What's in the bag? Christmas presents?!?!?!?!?!

That is some of the foam I pulled out last night around the mufflers or what is left of the mufflers. I didn't want to have pieces of foam laying around so I have a box of trash bags to fill as I break away the foam and just toss full bags over the side of the boat.

If your Christmas gifts look like something they just pulled out of the Hudson River.
    Invalid statement, nothing ever gets pulled out of the Hudson River once it enters.