Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Adjusting the trailer for a better fit

I'm going to rebuild my trailer this winter/spring. Rewire, lights, sand, paint, carpet, etc. I have a question about adjusting the trailer.

The bow sits very heavily on the bow roller. So hard, that no matter how loose the pin in the roller is, it won't roll. It's rough on the bow, and Donny just fixed all the bow issues so I'd like to keep it nice.

The "V" guide about 3 feet back from the bow stop does not touch the boat at all. Is this for guiding onto the trailer only, or can it support some of the boat weight? I'm wondering about raising the "V" to support a little of the boat and take some weight off the bow stop.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? You can see the "V" in the background of the image.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Obviously you and I have different hull designs and different trailer set ups but that small support bunk does not look like it is really doing much for you. I would be inclined to look at the main support bunks seeing as how that is what supports the bulk of the weight. If you bias the front a little higher than the rear of the bunks that might be a good start. I know on mine that those two front bunks mainly aid in getting the bow lined up for my bar that I have instead of the winch. I am on the road and don't have the pic handy Rob but I can post a pic or send you what I am talking about tomorrow.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I raised all of my front bunks with 1" plates for the same reason:

Thanks for the input guys. I just wasn't sure about the purpose of the "V" thing, and I would assume it's just for guiding, but I don't think it even does that when I'm loading. I'm thinking the answer might be both raising the front of the bunks AND raising the "V." It's a decent distance from the bunks to the bow stop, so having at least some slight support from the "V" may be a good thing.

1986 Saltare

I did the same as SupraAddict, I raised the front and middle portions of my bunks about 3/4 of an inch and it took so much weight of the bow roller. If I'm not mistaking the bunks are designed to carry a majority of the weight so your bow adds help but not carry the actual load. If you think about it....majority of the weight is always suppose to be over the axle(s) for correct trailer carrying weight.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Titan, on my old Mariah trailer which was an MC trailer to start it did the same thing. The bow rise never even touched the hull. That V (bow riser) is designed to lift your bow as it glides into the trailer and ensure it contacts the roller at the right height, as well as it serves as a speed break/bump stop. It is designed to hold most of the bow weight, not the roller. So you want the load on it, more than the roller. When I redid mine, my boat barely rested on the roller, only enough to have solid contact and provide an additional stopper to prevent forward movement.

What I did was to cut it off right at the base, where it meets the trailer. I used a cutoff wheel on a grinder for a clean even cut versus the plasma cutter. Then I used a jack on the bow eye, or a cherry picker would work to lift the bow of the boat up enough to be on the roller, but without so much weight. Then place the cut off bow riser further back on the trailer until you are literally pressing it hard against the boat for a good fit. Mark that spot. Then add 1/2 an inch further back. Weld your bow riser into place there, and you should be good to go.

If you don't have any room to move it back. Do what I did and just add a longer piece of 4x4 (or whatever dimension) channel to your V on the bow riser. See pics below

Here you can see the bow doesn't touch the bow riser at all. It was a bitch putting this thing on the trailer.

As you can see here, I had no where to scoot the riser back, so I went with taller channel (the H2 is not mine, don't hate.)

Here is the finished result. Sorry it's so far away, all my close shots are on the other side, and the spare tire blocks the riser. But you can see it's taller now. Man does that make for safer and easier loading.

My Salt sits on a Randall's trailer - the funky one with no bow roller. All the bow weight is supported on the Vee, with a separate locating rod that clips to the bow eye, so I agree with adjusting/moving the Vee so that the roller serves mainly as a bump stop.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Mine barely even kisses the roller. If we pull it out with the boat 2-3" further back, it's actually just hovering above the roller. A few more cranks and it comes forward but I dont think it actually puts any weight on it.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks guys. That was the confirmation I was looking for. It seemed to me that the bow riser (thanks for the term Haugy) should be supporting some of the weight.

1986 Saltare

The bow stop roller should be positioned so that when the boat is loaded all the way on the trailer, the bow ring pulls up right underneath the roller, resulting in a "stop" for the boat. I also modified my v-bunks by extending them aft-ward to assist in guiding the boat onto the trailer, and also raising them upward to assist with support.

Last edited by csuggs; 12-08-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com