Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thanks for that pic Clint. It's easy to see that the roller is strictly a stop and isn't supporting weight.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I'm glad to see this thread - my 2009 21V sits so hard on the roller that it's damaging the gelcoat and if I look at the front bunks the boat isn't even sitting on them at the front of the trailer.

I don't think supra did a good job fitting the trailer to this boat. I've read elsewhere that people had the front winch post area cut lower, but I was very leary of doing anything for safety reasons.

For those that added space under the carpet/bunks - it looked like you just put a spacer at the screw/bolt site - how is the rest of the bunk supported and what keeps it from cracking?

I really want to fix my trailer, but safety first!

I have to winch it SO hard and it just grinds when it goes over top and sits HARD on that roller.
    2009 21V

I was told by boatmate to take the old lag bolt out, and when I put the "New Longer" lag bolt in, I made sure it was started by hand a few threads before I tightened it. Make sure you do not tighten the bolts too tight as it will strip out the wood and you will have to replace the bunk. As far as cracking, I have had no issues.

Hope this helps

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but, while I did all the messing around to build the bunk for my railway and transfer my Rider to it from the trailer I discovered that with the shape of my hull and straight bunks, nearly all the weight of the boat will rest pretty much right at the engine. Very little weight is carried anywhere else. I'm planning on adjusting it.

I know adjusting the bunk heights at various point is a good solution, but double bunks would be better, that's just a lot more work. The other thing to consider is that your bow roller is too high. Just lowering it a bit might be helpful as well. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    For those that added space under the carpet/bunks - it looked like you just put a spacer at the screw/bolt site - how is the rest of the bunk supported and what keeps it from cracking?
    Okay to first answer your cracking question. If you put spacers under all the bunk supports, OR gradually increase the spacer thickness as you move forward, the wood won't crack. Those bunk supports are set to hold the boat at those points. My last boat, I did a bunk lift because the keel roller was touching. I increased the height by 3/4" at each bunk support. I used steel pucks I made and drilled holes into. I didn't use lag bolts, I just used carriage bolts that were recessed into the wood and the bolt came through the wood, through the steel spacer and then the bunk support, and then used a nut with lock washers to hold it in place. All hardware was stainless steel.

Something that you mentioned is loading it, you have to crank the heck out of it to get it up on the roller. How far back are you putting the boat in? When my trailer is in the water, you can only see the tips of the forward most bunk. The boat doesn't even make contact with the trailer until it's 3/4 of the way up it already. The the bow bunks slow the boat and help center it. The bow riser then makes sure the bow is up. Then I get my winch and only have to winch at most, about a foot. But since most of the boat is still free floating it goes up with some effort, but not hard. Now the boat is centered on the bow riser, and the bow bunks. When I pull out slowly, the back end settles in line gently on the trailer.

I had major issues with my last trailer and the roller, so I feel your pain. Can you take any pictures of your trailer at the bow section? That would really help us visualize what you are encountering.

Boat is in storage right now, so no pics available right now

However I've found if I back the trailer in enough to not have to crank the crap out of it, then when the boat comes forward the bow is too low and actually hits the roller at the tip of the bow or below. So I have to pull out a bit to change the angle of the boat so it will ride "up" enough to go on top of roller.
    2009 21V

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Boat is in storage right now, so no pics available right now

However I've found if I back the trailer in enough to not have to crank the crap out of it, then when the boat comes forward the bow is too low and actually hits the roller at the tip of the bow or below. So I have to pull out a bit to change the angle of the boat so it will ride "up" enough to go on top of roller.
    I know what you mean. This is why I'm going to slightly lift my bunks and the bow rise to help bring the nose OVER the bow stop.

1986 Saltare

My trailer was custom made for the boat at the request of the Supra Dealer at the time.
    Not a boatmate! They used a well known local trailer manufacturer.
    My nose roller is simply a stop that I snug the boat tightly against.
    The "V" bunks support the weight on the front of the boat- no question.
    The main bunks were lengthened compared to my other supra and boatmate trailer, such that the bunks extend further forward on the
    hull to the point where the rise begins and they are of no further benefit.
    By appearance the boat seems to have its weight well distibuted on the trailer and has presented me with no issues what so ever.supra conbrio 5.jpg

Default Adjusting the trailer for a better fit

I guess I'm just glad I don't have a bow stop issue because my trailer doesn't have a bow stop.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by crystal waters View Post
    Beautiful boat. Why are we just now seeing this pic? Keep them coming!

1986 Saltare