Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Carb vs Fuel injection

I am planning to get my first real ski boat in 2013 (first inboard). I have only owned I/O with a carb before. Boats that fit my $ range are ’98-01.

Would you wait to find a boat with fuel injection and not look at boats with a carb?

What do you guys think about boats with a carb from a maintenance view?

Do you guys with carbs have problems getting your boat started when going for a late fall ride? Not sure if the temp change makes much difference.

I am not saying that boats with a carb can’t be reliable or perform well. But having that turnkey start and no need to pump the throttle sounds like it would be worth waiting to find. I do most of my own maintenance on my cars, trucks and boats. I have had a little bit of trouble with my OLD boat getting the carb adjusted just right. I think part of the problem is I have not done enough research on tuning and tweaking carbs.

Not sure if this matters for this discussion but, I am planing to get an OB slalom boat.

"Card'd vs EFI era Supras... What do you prefer??"

After reading the thread above I got my answer. No need to open that can of worms again.

Carb is good, EFI is better.
    Last edited by Bill22; 12-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Had both.......EFI pro>>> better gas consumption although fuel is really a moot point. More predictable long term performance. Way easier start up on cold days. con >>> need to change fuel filters more regularly, vapour lock possible on hot days in older models (but easily remedied), harder to self diagnose when something does go wrong. IMO EFI wins but a die hard tuner will disagree but he can usu tune and rebuild carbs in a heartbeat. Just my .02.......... on a 98 - 01 I wouldn't think there will be a big diff in price....
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
    Carb is good, EFI is better.
    I would say exactly the opposite. EFI can get the job done, but if you want something that just plain works, all the time, and will never leave you stranded... Get a carb. Fuel economy differences on a boat are negligible as you tune basically the same way, there are very few, if any, dynamically tuning EFI setups for boats due to the wet exhaust and issues with O2 sensors. Difference being carb is more reliable and saves a ton of money over EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    IMO EFI wins but a die hard tuner will disagree but he can usu tune and rebuild carbs in a heartbeat.
    Die Hard tuner quoted below

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    I would say exactly the opposite. EFI can get the job done, but if you want something that just plain works, all the time, and will never leave you stranded... Get a carb. Fuel economy differences on a boat are negligible as you tune basically the same way, there are very few, if any, dynamically tuning EFI setups for boats due to the wet exhaust and issues with O2 sensors. Difference being carb is more reliable and saves a ton of money over EFI.

Here's how it breaks down?

1) Can you pull a carb apart right now, rebuild it, and tune it? NO. EFI
    2) Are you average with a wrench? Know how to fix minor things, handy, modest knowledge? If so, EFI.
    3) Do you like working on your engines regularly? NO. EFI

I love my carb for the old school of it, and the ability to get a good tuned sound. But it's a dinosaur. I would have no issues about a newer boat being EFI at all. Definitely the way to go on any boat 95 and newer. I keep mine old school for what it is, old school.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Here's how it breaks down?

1) Can you pull a carb apart right now, rebuild it, and tune it? NO. EFI
    With EFI when it breaks down you'll be calling Sea Tow Bunnies for a $500 tow and then writing a big check to a bunny. More or less the same position you'd be in if your carb breaks and you don't know those things... Difference being carbs are cheaper and easier to repair, so a smaller check to write to the bunny. Any bunny who wants to learn basic troubleshooting can quickly learn to troubleshoot a carb setup. EFI is much more complex. More importantly for where I boat, in the rare event I have a fuel issue or a bunny pops up, I know my bunnies and I can get a Holley running a lot quicker than EFI. That might be the difference between driving safely away and being killed by a bunny, under a barge, tanker, carrier, etc. So far my biggest problem with my carb boat has been a brand new ignition coil (defective) that sent me and my bunnies on a wild bunny chase due to the intermittent nature of its failure.

2) Are you average with a wrench? Know how to fix minor things, handy, modest knowledge? If so, EFI.
    I would think carb in that case. Basic knowledge and mechanically inclined and you'll avoid a costly tow or missing a day on the water if you've got basic fuel problems with a carb. They just work, and in the rare event they don't there are very few things that can fail. All parts are cheap and easy to get anywhere for a typical Holley carb. Typical carb problem boils down to dirt somewhere, check your fuel and air filters and clean the air bleeds. Failing that check/set float level, verify accelerator pump function, etc. Easy to do anywhere with basic hand tools and a can of carb cleaner. If you got a stuck/failed injector, bad sensor, etc... well not so quick and easy, or cheap for that matter.

3) Do you like working on your engines regularly? NO. EFI
    Funny, all my daily drivers have always had either Autolite or Holley carbs and don't require working on the engine regularly. Just normal maintenance, oil changes and such. I'll check my float level and readjust idle mixture every couple years when I do a full tune up, but very rarely does the carb require adjustment. Typically while doing an oil change and waiting for the oil to drain I'll give a quick spray of my air bleeds as a preventative measure.

I love my carb for the old school of it, and the ability to get a good tuned sound. But it's a dinosaur. I would have no issues about a newer boat being EFI at all. Definitely the way to go on any boat 95 and newer. I keep mine old school for what it is, old school.
    Each Bunny to his own, but I prefer a simple reliable carb engine. That is one of the reasons I got the Saltare over some of the newer EFI boats I looked at. Though if I ended up with a Sport Nautique or similar with an EFI 351w... A bunny would have a carb on it in no time.
    Last edited by docdrs; 12-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.

You truly are a rabid bunny that eats the souls of the squirrels in the woods sometimes. Anytime an engine debate comes up, you jump on the defense like someone just told you that flux-capacitors are real.

Those questions are directed at the OP. If you look again:

1)If he can't rebuild a carb from scratch right now, it would be better for him to go EFI.
    2)If he's not a mechanic, I'd again go with an EFI. If it fails, he'll be going to a mechanic. EFI has a better reliability rate.
    3)If he's not a gearhead like you or I, and enjoys working on engines, he doesn't need a Carb. Carbs require occasional maintenance, care, etc. And only hobbyists enjoy it.

Stop making every engine debate about bunnies . Yes we know bunnies like your carbs, yes we know you have old trucks. This is about the OP, not bunnies. I have carbs on half of my toys, and EFI on the other. Guess what? Bunnies never had to do a thing to my EFI toys, but my carbs have all had to be pulled and rebuilt or tuned at some point. I'm not trying to be a bigger bunny, but you've got to start letting others decide for themselves, rather than why bunnies think yours are better.

Okay?
    Last edited by haugy; 12-22-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Haugy, flux capacitors are real...come take a ride in one of our toys and when we get up to 88 MPH, you'll see some pretty cool stuff.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Was talking boats with a friend who owns a Auto recycling facility. The discussion came up with the EFI of my supra. He asked me if it was multi port injection I said no. Want to make it ??? From there I came up with the idea of switching the carb from the Formula and converting the old boat to multi port injection. Seems he is a Chevy guru and just happens to have a complete smacked up car for the 350 MPI conversion.

After a season of running EFI.... Carbs stink !!! EFI is NOT as complicated as everyone thinks.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

This should get interesting...I'll go pop the popcorn. Who wants some?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski