Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adding a PERKO Switch

I am about to order on Amazon a PERKO switch, I always carry two batteries in my boat but only used one as a back up if needed. I am adding the switch this weekend, but I have never installed dual batteries. I am sure it comes with directions on which go where, but thought I would ask prior to getting it in the mail. I am ordering the "four position" one, 1st, 2nd battery, off, and "both". If I understand correctly, using "both" while running the alternator will charge both at same time correct? When your in a cove relaxing, listening to radio whats it best to have on, "1" or "2" or both? Just trying to understand the switch completly before installing. I know its odd, but I have had boat for almost the last 17 years or so....and never had one on a boat I owned.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

I would get the add a battery kit with the ACR and you will have on off and combine on the switch. This will give you a start battery and a house battery that you can add accessories to. It will also charge both batteries without having to turn the switch. Just my opinion and it was a simple install.

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    I would get the add a battery kit with the ACR and you will have on off and combine on the switch. This will give you a start battery and a house battery that you can add accessories to. It will also charge both batteries without having to turn the switch. Just my opinion and it was a simple install.
    2nd. This is the only way to go.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

OK, well I looked up the Blue Sea 7650 Add a battery. I'm not a total cheap ass, but please explain why I should spend 120.00 for this switch, when it looks like the Perko or same type do the same thing. What am I missing, I don't mind spending as long as I know why. It looks almost the same set up. Thanks for the help.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

It adds the automatic charging relay to the switch.
    http://bluesea.com/files/resources/t...management.pdf

OK, that makes more sense reading vs the brief descriptions on the sales ad. Well I guess I'm about to spend 140.00 because it looks like I need the bar also. UGH lol that sucks, went from thinking fairly cheap to 140 quick. Oh well.......Thanks for the heads up glad I asked.
    Shane

Just to add another viewpoint, I like the manual control of the Perko switch. I like to control which battery I'm using, and which battery I'm charging. It's really not a complicated matter to turn the switch (depending on where you install it). I'm actually adding one right now to my boat.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by suprasam View Post
    OK, well I looked up the Blue Sea 7650 Add a battery. I'm not a total cheap ass, but please explain why I should spend 120.00 for this switch, when it looks like the Perko or same type do the same thing. What am I missing, I don't mind spending as long as I know why. It looks almost the same set up. Thanks for the help.
    Sam,

First thing I would suggest is to go with a Blue Sea switch as opposed to the Perko brand. The perko is hard brittle plastic, has a larger footprint and shorter studs. the Blue Sea body is more flexible (less chance to break), smaller and longer studs.

Now to the topic at hand. The Blue Sea Add-A-Battery is comprised of a dual-battery switch (similar function as the Perko) and an ACR (Auto Combiner Relay). The are some advantages to going with that particular switch and the ACR. For the most part, the Add-A-Battery kit is a semi-auto setup, where as the basic dual-battery switch is fully manual. With an ACR, you will primarily use the OFF and ON positions when using the boat. OFF when done for the day, ON when on the water, and then COMBINE if you need the other battery bank for an emergency start. The ACR will allow the house bank to receive a charge from the alternator when the engine is running, yet isolate the main cranking bank from the house (stereo) loads while at rest. This gives you a fully charged cranking battery, regardless of how long you've jammed the system while at anchor.

Now, all of the above can be accomplished with a typical dual-battery switch, but its all up to the captain to manually rotate the switch when dropping anchor or starting back up. OFF when the boat is out of service, 1 or 2 or BOTH when running and then 1 or 2 for anchoring. This allows the house loads to pull off just one of the batteries while anchored, leaving the other in reserve for starting. Once running again, you can switch back over to the battery that was used during anchoring and replenish it some.

The stereo will be wired differently depending on which setup you go with. Hope this helps a little.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

You're just paying for the convenience of not having to remember to manually switch. I've only got one season on mine since the rebuild, but really like it.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Ditto Sybrmike.

I also have the Perko with no problems . . .

Battery 1 is a starting battery, and 2 is deep cycle. Usually I run on 1 and anchor on 2 (depending for how long). I like being able to manually change the battery and I can do it while driving since it just under the center OB seat cushion.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com