Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Stereo Autopsy part 1....

I was able to get the bolts out through my speaker holes on the side panels. With those out I had a ton of open space to get my wires run. I've heard of people having their wives and children reach some of the hard to get bolts on some of the other cushions, especially the bow.

I got the rest of the system on order today. WS 650s for cabin speakers and WS HT1 will round out the amp rack. I have been struggling trying to figure out what I want to do with the sub and I think I'll just mount it under the passenger seat near the amp rack. Any thoughts on difference in performance if it is there vs under the driver's seat?
    Overall I'll be less worried about damage to the sub from my kids messing with it if it is right out in the open.

Nope, that is the second best place to put it. For obvious reasons some refuse to put it under the helm and that is the next ideal place to go.

Default Re: Stereo Autopsy part 1....

I think you will be missing out on performance by placing it in the cubby. A well built box in the helm can't be beat and you are already buying top notch gear. I personally wouldn't short cut it at that point. id think the wetsounds reps will be saying the same thing.

Did you end up selling one pair of revs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 01-23-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

I did sell one pair of the REVs. Would it make sense to in the interim just buy a standard ported box that fits the sub and mount it to the hump until I can get a custom box built? I could pick up a simple enough sub box for cheap and fab up some brackets to keep it from moving around yet keep it back under the helm so I wouldn't be kicking it.

I'd take some measurements before pulling the trigger on prebuilt box. It can be more difficult to cram in there than you think but it can be done. You will run into the steering column and a huge run of wires that don't have much slack that runs through the hump.

My first year I had an enormous ported box that I crammed under the helm. It worked for the interim but did take up a lot of space. Since then, with the help of Dusty2221, I have box that was built onto the hump, using the hump to hold the box pretty much. It hangs off the hump a couple inches but doesn't run all the way to floor so it didn't eat up any foot room.

You might reach out to David at Earmark. They may have prebuilt boxes and/or plans on how to build one.

What I finally ended up with ....

2006 Supra 24SSV

I did reach out to Earmark and they were unable to help as it would be a custom build. That's a great idea of using the hump to hang the sub and not lose the foot room. Do you have any other pics of the enclosure as you were making it or measurements?

I might know a guy Let me see if I can't get Dusty's attention.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

I agree the helm is the best place, but not even an option on quite a few new boats.

Here is my $50 cheap ported box that solved a time problem for me last year. I screwed pucks to the bottom of it. I will build a custom box someday.

I replied to your PM, but for the sake of convenience, here ya go.

There should be enough slack in them so you have some wiggle room, however be cautious not to move it to much from the original position and cause the steering cable to be in a bind or wear out prematurely.

You might also check with Earmark, as well as Youdaman. I know he has several Moomba's in the gallery online and I can assure you they don't have truck boxes wedged in. Might be of some help.

Not sure if these pics help, but here is how mine is done. Of course, pre-planned it in paint. My dimensions ended up changing after this pic, but I didn't take the time to update the drawing.

I did not end up using the legs drawn in this picture. I used L brackets on the side, and compressed a few to less than a 90 degree bend and used them underneath, as well as attached thru the box to the hump.

This one shows how the box ends up elevated off the floor all the way to the hump, with the facade coming right past the box by and inch or so. Every inch of footroom is still there. After I built it, I realized I could have still made the box 2" deeper all the way around and gained alot more "size" but I wasn't sure so this is what I ended with.

The cutout on the right side of my box is where my heater hose comes thru to connect to the facade. On the side view, you can see the area of the hump that the box does not set on, that is where all my cables come thru. So everything is for the most part un-moved behind it in the factory position.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold