Hybrid View

Default Can I put a 21v on A 22ssv Trailer

So here is my dilemma, I am looking into buying a 09 21v but it has no trailer. I don't want to spend the money on a brand new trailer right away or possibly ever. A new trailer is 6k. There is a trailer for a 08 22ssv for sale but I am not sure how well the boat will fit on there or if I could have the trailer modified to make it fit better. The trailer is very cheap due to some rust. The only real issue I am concerned with is the angles of the bunks to the hull of the boat. I figure it could be much cheaper in the long run to have the front jack strap support thing moved a foot back, then have the rust repaired, trailer sand blasted and painted or possibly line x'd. Im thinking I could get that done for roughly 3k or less. What do you guys think about this set up? I live in Colorado and will have to put the boat in the trailer and tow it back from Austin Texas. Do you think I will be okay putting the 21v on the 22ssv trailer? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I can't imagine you'll have much of a problem. Most inboard trailers will accommodate boats that are close in size. 1ft shorter is certainly better than 1ft longer, although even that is probably the same trailer with slightly longer bunks and would probably work short-term.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Contact Jerry Jones at BoatMate trailers, they have a very supportive staff. I have contacted them twice with very good results.

Well I am having issues trying to get a hold of the guy with the 22ssv trailer not sure if he still has it. The only other option I have is to put it on a 2010 boatmate single axle trailer. The owner of the boat is sending me pictures of it and I guess it fits on it really well. Would that trailer be way over loaded with a 21v on it? The trailer was originally for a 2012 Moomba lsv which is 21ft and I belive 3300 pounds, the 21v is 3800 pounds. I know sometime in a couple years I would need to get a tandem axle but would a single axle get me by for a while if good tires and kept on and maintenance is up to date? Thanks guys

I have seen people travel a long ways with a trailer that is not made for the boat. As long as the tires are in great shape and have the right air pressure, I would say it would be fine, just make sure the bearings are greased up before you make the trip, and maybe take some extra straps to secure the boat. You don't need wheel falling off and the trailer heading to the ditch.

Word of caution here... You must account for the weight of the trailer in addition to the boat when you talk about how much weight an axle and the tires can support. At 3800 pounds of boat with no fuel in it or anything else plus the trailer weight, I bet that you have already overloaded the axle and tires. Might be worth a call to a spring shop near you to see if they have anything that is a little more beefy to toss under that trailer in addition to a higher load range tire. I would hate to have you suffer a blow out or something while trailering your boat home due to the load exceeding the capacity. Just my point of reference, I have a comp on a single axle trailer and I run the tire PSI at 48-49PSI due to how much weight I carry around with the combined weight of the boat, tower, fuel, toys and the trailer weight.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski