Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Insurance companies?

Who do you guys use for insurance? What has your experience been like with that company? Any good or bad experiences with other companies? If you're comfortable with it, please share insured value and annual cost as well.

I've been shopping for insurance and since Sandy it seems impossible to get a policy that actually covers you should something unfortunate happen, or you can get a policy that covers you in most or all cases but the covered value is well below market value/replacement cost and they won't do an agreed value policy. I let my policy with Progressive run out without renewal on account of another company promising to save me $100/yr for the same coverage just needed a couple current pictures showing no damage since Sandy and a no damage/loss/claim since Sandy signed statement. That and I've heard bad experiences about Progressive not paying on claims or repairing damage with shoddy glass work or Chinese (not OEM) parts. Now I have no insurance and they're lowballing me on value after sending pics. Very deceptive as I was initially told no problem on an agreed value policy, and I explained my boat had new stringers/floor/engine/uphostery/etc. and several high dollar upgrades such as Perfect Pass and whatnot. Hopefully you guys can recommend some companies that will write a policy on a boat these days to cover actual market replacement cost or agreed value.

here in Canada , as my boat is over 20 years old ( 89 conbrio) I had to get a marine survey done at my expense ( who else of course?) and provide same to my insurance company before they would continue to insure me.Once that was done and all came up roses on the report there was no issue for current value for boat and for trailer plus liablity options etc.
    You may wish to enquire if a marine survey would be of help in your case?
    best of luck!

My 86 Sunsport is insured with Progressive. It's a declared value policy of $15K for just under $300/yr
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I've never had a claim with Progressive and hope I don't. But I'm beginning to wonder.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Boat US. they only insure boats . Good to have when things go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Switched to Traveler's Ins. after Progressive bent me over after my truck was stolen and involved in a high speed pursuit which ended in a crash.
    Totalled two cars since with Traveler's and they wrote me a check the next day. Awesome company that I don't fear retribution when I screw up.
    I pay just over $300 / year for $12- $13k coverage.
    Travelers is not writing new policies at all for boats in areas hit by Sandy. Same with a lot of others. Progressive was bending me over raising my boat premium two years in a row. Eventually was $470 or so for $12k agreed value. I wanted to switch because they keep raising prices with no change in coverage, no claims on that policy, and no claims on my truck or bike that I also have insured with them.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Boat US. they only insure boats . Good to have when things go wrong.

I tried them years ago, they wouldn't process payment over phone with cc, said they'd send me a bill and to send a check. Never got the bill, but did get a letter cancelling the policy for non-payment. They are just a broker and brokered me through to Progressive for the policy. SO I called Progressive and they wrote me the same policy for $20 or $30 less per year.

i've seen alot of people recommend NBOA on other boards but i've never gotten a quote. nboat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    i've seen alot of people recommend NBOA on other boards but i've never gotten a quote. nboat.com
    Apparently they're a broker, not necessarily a problem if they find someone I haven't already tried... But in their web form they said they won't insure anything older than 20 years, which excludes pretty much everyone on this forum.

I went with Boat US and they placed my coverage with CNA. Being in the insurance and bond industry we do a good amount of business with CNA and they are a great company. I have not had a boat claim so I can not speak to how that might be handled though.