Default Did anybody ever GEL COAT before? Im looking to re gel coat the bottom of my boat!

Im looking to purchase black Gel coat and some how read up on how to do it properly! Anybody ever do it before? I want to gel coat 6 inches above the waterline down to the whole underneath of the boat!!!

Nope, but I have been reading up on doing it. It's a helluva process, and not for the newbie. I'm realizing in my research that it would be easier for me to save up the money to pay someone to do it, and do it right the first time versus the holy hell headache of me doing it. The process is very long and seriously labor intensive, sanding out the wazooo.

Plus, if you want the bottom done, they would need to probably flip your boat over. It's not like bottom paint that they can slap on in a lift. It's seriously arduous and detailed.

Are you sure you want to make the bottom black? That will show every ding scratch, nick you get, and you'd have to constantly clean it. There is a reason why most black boats are white on the bottom.

i have messed with it and it is a pain to mess with. I would either pay someone to do it or just not do it or paint it with a good bottom paint.