Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 21V -Subwoofer installs?

Thinking about putting a sub in this year. Problem is under the helm where it appears most people put a sub box, there is the heater vent right there.

Anyone have install pics of a subwoofer in a 2009+ 21V? Advice?

I'm also a bit leary of building my own box. Sounds complicated to get it just right.

Doing some early planning
    2009 21V

I do not have any pics of a similar boat, but its not hard to relocate the vent. it should be connected to the heater with a flexible tube. In this case, the front wall of the sub box will actually be wider or taller then the actual box. No just drill a hole and remount the heater outlet in the outer portion of the front wall. Once installed, it looks clean and factory.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

There are pics of this type of install on the Moomba site in the audio/stereo thread. Good luck!

i'm checking there as well. I think I get your idea: build a box offset and then a false front that extends beyond that and put the vent in that?

I just have NO idea how to properly build a box and the ones I've seen look both geometrically challenging as well as I know you have to get the volumes just right.
    Was hoping someone here had already done it and could get some direct feedback for my specific boat.
    2009 21V

Typically a Supra 21V has a flat sole under the driver's helm which makes this considerably more friendly than a 22 or 24V with a pronounced floor hump.
    You may have minor obstacles with the steering cable route or heater vent tubing or a small floor elevation or the hull narrowing towards the bow.
    Once you remove the cover facade and armed with the knowledge that you can re-locate the heater hose/vent, the maximum external dimensions are pretty easy to determine.

David
    Earmark Marine
    www.earmarkmarine.com

So anyone want to chime in with a driver/amp recommendation for that spot on a 21V? I most certainly do not want "boom/thud" bass, the type you hear from ricer cars that are vibrating themselves to death. I just want a very solid, musical lower end. The only time we really turn our system up is when riding to get sound to the rider and generally at that point it's a battle between wife saying "turn it down" and rider saying "can't hear it, turn it up"
    2009 21V

The boat will determine the best possible sub location. That and a few related obstacles will determine the maximum enclosure displacement which in turn will dictate the best loading method (sealed, ported, etc.) and the best matching woofer size to that particular enclosure. Acoustically it is a very logical and sequential process to obtain the best possible subwoofer performance. Choosing the specific subwoofer before arriving at a few of these conclusions in advance is placing the cart before the horse. Having said that, there are a few other things to factor in like your personal expectations and usage plus balancing with the rest of the system.
    If I had to recommend the best subwoofer in advance on a balance of output, sound quality and deep bass extension, I would recommend JL Audio. The best bang for the buck with no compromise would be the W3 series. The size and series of sub is predictated on the enclosure and power handling. A larger sub is more mass and commands more power. The JL Audio JX500.1D amplifier is tough to beat for power, efficiency, cost and size. But again, the enclosure should come first.
    You are not going to get bass to the rider in any case based on the wife restrictions, and without a sub that is shaking the boat apart.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Earmark Marine
    www.earmarkmarine.com

photo[1].JPG Here is a pic of two jl audio 10w3 under the drivers helm. It was a pain with the heater vents, heat exchanger and the hump on the floor that David was talking about. I still got .65 cu' for each sub. in a sealed enclosure. Lots of figuring and fabbing. Sounds great though. Just built a new front with factory carpet. Cheated with the wetsounds grill to match my cabin speakers and towers.

photo[2].jpg Here is a pic of 2 jl 10w3 subs under the drivers help. It was a pita with the heater vents, heat exchanger and the slopping floor. They are in a sealed enclosure at .65 cu' each. Took lots of figuring and fabbing but I think it turned out nice and sounds great. Just built a new false front and cheated with wetsounds grills to match my inboat speakers.

opps, thought the first one didn't post. Oh well second pic looks better I think