Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Can anyone post a link to the right courtesy leds in the 2003 ssv and the dash leds for my gauges?

Thread resurrection!!

The last two summers with this boat have been great. Boat now has 300 hours so it seems to be getting used enough to justify having it. Minor issues like batteries, the radio getting stolen and a new starter have come and gone. Typical joys of boat ownership I suppose.

Despite being covered and in a slip the boat was getting a little dirty and I was looking for a winter project. The boat now sits in my hangar and the projects have begun.

Fun projects:
    Swim platform- Create a smaller swim platform with an integrated/manual surf gate. Lots of ideas floating around.

Ballast- Upgrade rear ballast bags to 750lbs. Add vents to all bags. Install bow ballast bag.

Carpet- All floor carpet will get replaced. The carpeted rear lockers are going to get sprayed with a rhinoliner type product.

Less fun projects:

Remove all hardware, windshields, seats, lights, etc. Anything that gets in the way of polishing both the inside and outside.

Vinyl repair: There are two cuts and one seat bottom that shows some discoloration. Going to attempt vinyl repair.

Rudder shake: At any weight the boat has developed rudder shake when getting on plane. The shake goes away above 6 mph but it sounds awful and is shaking the hell out of the dash area. From inside the engine compartment I can wiggle the rudder about 3/4 inch both directions. Fixing this is a priority.

Steering Cable replacement: Steering wheel isn't necessarily hard to turn but it isn't as smooth as I would like it to be. While I have the floor and drivers seat out for carpet I'm going to replace the cable.

Pictures of what little I have done so far to follow.
    Last edited by txnight; 12-04-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Took off the LAUNCH and SSV logo. Wet sanded up to 2000. The picture doesn't do a good job showing how rough the gel coat is now. Polishing and waxing will make it like new.

That's all I have to show for now.

If you have any ideas on the rudder shake I'm all ears.

Have a great one, Bill D.

Before you start at wet sanding I recommend trying a area with heavy, medium, light rubbing compound. I think people go to at sanding a little too fast. Also if you using Maguires (I recommend) add between the fine cut and wax step- Ultra Polish . With the compound process done properly the Polish is the best bang for you buck when it comes to a deep some.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

All good advice. Unfortunately I have compounded this boat once before. It was heavily oxidized when we purchased it two years ago.

It's no fun but the results are worth it!

Monday update:

Carpet work:
    Got all the carpet removed. The effects of the previous owner leaving it outside for a few years are gross. Lots of cleaning in my future.

With the floor panels and rear locker panels removed it was a good time to inspect the steering cable. After disconnecting the cable from the steering wheel I went to work disconnecting it from the rudder. That is when I stumbled across the clamp block. Previously hidden from view it became apparent that this was the cause of my vibration issues. After wrestling with it for an hour it finally came out.

Have a great week!

Update time. Still waiting on parts has enabled me to work on fun stuff this week.

Cover your eyes if you don't like seeing stock fiberglass chopped up.

Swim platform design: There are two reasons I wanted to create a new platform.
    #1 Last summer I left the swim platform on the dock and tried out the surf wave. There was a noticeable difference in the face and shape of the wave.
    #2 I want to incorporate a simple surf gate and the stock platform doesn't work with my idea.

Researching platform builds turned up custom teak platforms, use composite decking, glassed over plywood.....there are lots of great ideas out there. My final decision was to cut my stock platform and modify it. I haven't seen anyone else do this so I hope I haven't committed an unforgivable grievance.

Last night I got out the tape and played with different ideas. Seeing it laid out helped to visualize what I was doing.

Final design:

This measurement is in the corner of the platform: 6 inches removed

Back of the platform: 5 inches removed

First cut made and a shot of the tools used: First cut was made with a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a metal cut off disk. It worked really well except that it did't go all the way thru. To finish the cut I put a metal blade in a the sawzall. It cut like butter but did leave a little big of a rough edge that will need to be sanded smooth.

All done with the cutting and everything appears symmetrical. Big sigh of relief.

Overhead shot. Still plenty of room to strap on the wakeboard or have a seat.

Side shot. The picture makes it appear that the back isn't straight but it is. Lots of dust everywhere but easy to clean up.

With the excess cut away it appears that my simple idea might work out.

Measurement of how thick the platform is now.

Modified platform steps:

Sand smooth rough edges and seal the edges with fiberglass resin.

Create a frame to go around the outside edge of the platform using 1.25 x 1.25 x .065 stainless tubing. This will attach to all three stock brackets and spread the load out created by the attached surf gates.

My idea is that the surf gate will attach to the frame and one stock bracket using two pivot points and a turn buckle.

When it's all said and done I will wrap the platform in hydro turf to make it pretty.

That's it for today. Feel free to flame me and criticize what I have started. I like the motivation

Have a great weekend!!
    Last edited by txnight; 12-12-2014 at 11:24 AM.

No criticism. It's your boat, but wow, I'm guessing you thought about this a lot before making the first cut. What would scare me is that you don't really know what the performance difference will be - if any. Personally, it's not worth it, but I'm not a hardcore skier. I like having the rail on the back of the platform to hold while we're floating and to aid in climbing back in. It's not easy for everyone.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839