Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

So, now that you have seen the boat Naked what do you think about leaving it that way?

Right now the idea is that we will add a silver wave back in the black area on the corner and a black supra sticker on the side glass. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by txnight View Post
    So, now that you have seen the boat Naked what do you think about leaving it that way?

Right now the idea is that we will add a silver wave back in the black area on the corner and a black supra sticker on the side glass. Thoughts?
    I personally like it and I'm now considering doing the same with mine. My only issue is my boat has the all black side which in my opinion won't look as good without graphics as your blue/black does. OBTW, Your gel coat looks great!
    03' SSV

Quote Originally Posted by txnight View Post
    Still no supplier for the chrome decals. I think we are going to replace some of the originals with Vinyl .

Removing the oxidation is slow work. Take your time.

Here is the process we followed. I'm sure we made some mistakes but I'm pleased with the results:
    1. On this boat we had to start with 320 or 600 grit wet sanding. I tried 3 different compounds and it simply wouldn't remove the oxidation. It hurt to use that heavy of a sandpaper but it worked.

2. Wet sanding with 1000 grit

3. compound with 3m on a random orbital or polisher.

4. 1200 grit wet sand

5.1500 grit wet sand

6. Meguiars oxidation remover which is essentially a very light compound on a polisher.

7. Check that all the scratches are smoothed back out. At this point the meguiars should have brought the hull to a nice shine and scratches shouldn't be visible. Where necessary wet sand with 1500 or light compound as necessary to smooth out the scratches.

8. Apply two coats of polish.

9. Apply as many coats of wax as your heart desires.

Overall it took roughly 35 man hours to restore the hull. With your boat only being 5 years old maybe you can skip the wet sanding and just use compound. If so it will go much faster and you will not run as much risk of damaging the gel coat.Good luck!
    txnight,

A few questions about your oxidation removal as I've never done this sort of thing before. Did you do all the wet sanding by hand? Also, did you just do the sides of the boat or did you do the cap as well? How difficult is it to sand around the raised Supra graphics? I'm concerned about permanently scratching my gel coat in those areas.

I don't think that I have much oxidation however after years of exposure to sunshine I'm guessing it has slowly developed without me noticing it.

If you did much of this by hand I would think it would wear you out after 35hrs of it!

Thanks,

Joe G.
    03' SSV

Joe,

The wet sanding was done by hand. Everything above of the rub rail had been under a cover and was in good shape. We made the decision to remove all the decals except for the Launch and SSV. Having the decals out of the way made removing the oxidation possible. Otherwise it would have been impossible. Working around the letters takes lots of time and should be done in 10 to 30 seconds spurts. Lots of water and stopping to check if you have sanded enough.

I had no idea the oxidation was as bad as it was until I began removing the decals. There was a moment of "what am I going to do now"

I'm looking for some LED bulbs right not for the three lights inside, the two bow lights (MR16) and the light above the swim platform if anyone has a supplier and a part number.

Bill D.

Atwood makes a LED Bow Nav light I'm thinking of ordering one myself. Here is the link to one:
    http://www.iboats.com/Stainless-Stee...view_id.366688

As far as the transom nav light, there is an LED for it as well, I am just not sure if it will fit so I am going to order one soon for testing. They can be purchased here:
    http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult...KeyWords=84634

Addict,
    Thanks for the links. Do you have a replacement for the docking lights on the bow?

I haven't looked into docking lights, I don't even know what type of bulb it is. I will look next time I go to storage where my boat is.

I am guessing it is a 55 watt Halogen bulb, I am sure it will be hard to find something that will be just as bright and will still fit in the housing. There is a replacement from Atwood but I'm not sure if it will fit. It is a complete replacement housing and all and runs about $135.

It's called a MR16. The thing to pay attention to is the degree of the beam. I pulled the bulbs and they were philips 12v20watt 36

There are lots of choices on superbrightleds and oznium.

I'm also looking for replacements for the three courtesy lights inside the boat. Looks like I might have to settle for just brighter bulb as opposed to LED's

Well there are direct replacements for the MR16 on ebay. I just read a thread over at WW that said there are direct plug and plays on Ebay.