Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default 1985 Supra Comp TS6M

Hi All,

In the process of putting in new floors/foam and an engine replacement in my 85. My Comp does not have the original captains chair and it is getting tired (not very comfortable any more!)

Does anyone have leads on a seat that would fit my boat? Anyone know if the new models fit? ANyone have one for sale that is in good shape that doesnt have too many funky 80's color schemes!?

Also, what is the best option for carpet? I have used Home Depot's indoor/outdoor stuff before (can't beat the price) but everything else I find is at least $2.50 CAD/sq ft. Any other alternatives?

Any info is appreciated!

Also....here's a photo couple of photos of the motor out and the foam being ripped up.

1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

I'm sure there are a lot of seats that will fit, but I can't give any specific recommendations. Good luck on the project, it looks like you've got a good start. You mentioned new floors/foam, but didn't happen to say anything about the stringers. I assume you're replacing them too?

Keep us updated with photos.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

The stringers for the most part are pretty solid. There is only a couple of spots that are soft (near transom and foot well near drivers seat). I am replacing the crossbraces on the stringers as they were bare wood and were soaked/rotten.

I was looking at your photos. How did you glass in the floors where it goes underneath the section of the deck that becomes the interior (where the speakers usually go)? That is my biggest area of concern as I want to have those tied in properly.

Also, how did you get to the transom like that, cut out the rear storage compartment?? How did you re-install? This would make working back there way easier!
    Last edited by Supra_Comp; 02-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

He did what most people do.....a cap off restoration. If your going into and you know parts of your stringers are soft and you have the time you might as well do the whole thing, almost a waste not to at this point I would think. Once the cap is off the locker goes with it and gives you space to get to the transom and the bow sections. Good luck.
    Shane

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch

Actually, I didn't do a cap off. My stringers were solid except for under the engine where the PO had screwed brackets into the stringers to hold the fuel and water lines. Water wicked into the stringer there and rotted it under the engine. I had no water anywhere else and testing the stringers in other locations brought out dry wood.

So I repaired the stringers under the engine, replaced cross-members under the floor, and tabbed in a new deck. I added cross members under the dash and tabbed them between the stringers and the hull. I then matched up the deck and fiberglassed the new to the old. The end result is very strong and it's held up very well.

I'm not sure how your rear storage is built into the Comp, but in my Saltare, it simply can be unscrewed and lifted out. Every winter I've found some reason to tear it down to just the deck and work on something, and yes, it's very handy.

Although I didn't feel compelled to do the full, top-off restoration, I still encourage you to make sure you know the condition of your stringers. It's certainly better to fix all issues once than to go through similar processes twice.

1986 Saltare

Thanks Titan.

I did some investigation and for the most part the stringers are in good shape and I did have my marine mechanic do a second inspection on them.

The rear storage area in my comp is glassed in (looks like factory molds). I may have to cut the bottom section out create a bolted connection so that I can take it out in future as I have had the gas tank out before and it was near impossible to do it leaving the storage compartment in.

Still, how did you fiberglass your floor boards? Did you just put resin over top or did you use fiberglass mat? On my comp, the floor boards went underneath the section that was part of the deck and had a thin layer of glass which tied them into the hull.

Did you glass the floors into the hull? What was your method.

BTW...nice boat! Same color scheme as my Comp TS6M.

Last edited by Supra_Comp; 02-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

Nice photo!

You definitely don't use just resin. You need actual fiberglass too. I recommend using 1708 fiberglass for structural work like joining the deck together. Don't be scared to use plenty of resin as it will soak it up and needs to be fully saturated. It's not hard to use more fiberglass and resin than the factory did, and that's not a bad thing.

As far as attaching to the hull, I left a small tab of the original deck and fiberglassed back to that. I was able add more fiberglass to the hull joint than what the factory did, and I'm confident that it's stronger than it ever was.

1986 Saltare

Ok good to know. I had to rip the floor out right to the hull because it was all rotten through and it wouldn't of been a strong structure at all so know I have to figure out how to glass the floor boards back into the hull (original looked like just a single layer of matt/resin). This might be tricky!

I phoned Supra in Texas and they told me that the rear storage locker was bolt-in on certain models but for the Comp is was fiberglass construction. Looks like I am cutting it out!
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

Update....

Part of the stringers are coming out. Rotten through in a few sections so I will be cutting in new pieces. Will post pictures once the boat is in its net temporary housing.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Fully Rebuilt

You gotta keep feeding us photos...

1986 Saltare