Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So , if I'm getting this right a jl 10w6 really wouldn't output anymore bass than a 10w3. Actually two of each. I built my enclosures for the 10w6 but bought the 10w3 because they were a butt load cheaper. About .65cu' each.
    Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Gettin_it,
    Surface area will be the main (but not necessarily the only) determining factor WHEN all other considerations are at optimum. And that's the rub. If you split up the woofer locations or have less than an ideal enclosure for a given sub, then you may be going backwards as you increase overall surface area.
    Always start with the best singular location/exposure/orientation first and the max enclosure displacement second. That will dictate the best loading method (sealed, ported,etc.) and the best woofer for this particualr application.
    Something else worth noting...All woofers of a similar size and construction will have roughly the same amount of total bass energy. However, the design focus in each case will determine where and how you get that energy. The exact same goes for the enclosure design.
    While I've not answered your question with an overly-simple, non-substantive response, I have given you a sequential process that will serve your goals better. Start with the boat.

David
    Earmark Marine

A 10W6 will provide more output than a 10W3 because for one the W6 has more excursion. But it will take more power to achieve the added output plus it takes more power to control a heavier mass speaker and all the mechanisms to create more excursion and handle the additional power. If powered correctly then the W6 is a distinct upgrade. However, an under-powered W6 is inferior to a correctly-powered W3. So a balanced package is most important.

David
    Earmark Marine
    www.earmarkmarine.com

Thanks David, that is why I went with the w3's. I have an old alpine mrd1000 I believe, Must have been one of the first class d's. It does 1000@2ohm which work good for my w3's with 4ohm single voice coils wired for 2ohm. With 2 dual voice coil w6's I can only get 1 ohm or 4. So I'd need to reamp. What amp woud you then suggest? Hits good now but it's never enough. Sorry, I'm probably hijacking. If so yell at me and I'll start a new thread. Thanks, Gene

Gene, you have great balance right now.
    JL's thermal ratings are conservative. And in an open-field-environment you have to be at the very top of, or just beyond the W6's 600 watt rating depending on the size. We run 600 watts per 10W6 and 750 watts per 12W6. If you have space the JL Slash1200/1 is a current monster and will kill two 10W6s. The HD1200/1 is right there too.

David
    Earmark Marine
    www.earmarkmarine.com

Thanks David I always learn a lot from you and the rest on these forums. I talked to a Jl Tech and he agreed with you. He also said for the cost of upgrade he didnt think it would be worth the cash difference. I could sell my stuff to help offset the cost but it would still be a grand extra. He suggested running a ported enclosure for the two 10's and gain about 3db. I've read some of your posts and that's what you have said too. Problem is space on a 08 22ssv as you know. I've built a lot of sealed enclosures (no brainer) but never a ported one. If it were a great difference i'd probably do it but a 3db diff. now thats something. If I lived near you I'd just bring the boat to you and say do it. I'm a long way from you .
    Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Gene, you have great balance right now.
    JL's thermal ratings are conservative. And in an open-field-environment you have to be at the very top of, or just beyond the W6's 600 watt rating depending on the size. We run 600 watts per 10W6 and 750 watts per 12W6. If you have space the JL Slash1200/1 is a current monster and will kill two 10W6s. The HD1200/1 is right there too.

David

Oh JonyB shouldn't go without mention. He has helped me a lot in the past. Taught me a lot too. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have the system I have now. Stereo like speed must be a drug, you always want more. Gene

Glad I could help Gene! I'm not one of those installers or stereo jockeys that thinks he knows everything. I'm not going to argue with the next guy if he says I'm wrong - I'm always open to critiques. I always like a good clean conversation where you don't have some other guy coming out claiming to know everything and calling everyone else a dumba$$. There's a lot of that on Wakeworld, and thats a lot of the reason I just stay out of a lot of conversations.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Gene,
    Thank you and I always enjoy posting up audio thoughts along with a pro like jonyb.

Yes, it is true that a conservative and well-damped bass-reflex alignment will produce an additional 3 dB (equivalent to double the amplifier power) through the meaty portion of the sub's contribution. A narrower SPL alignment would get you even more but I do not advocate that. Also, and this should not be overlooked, a well-designed bass-reflex system will deliver one/third octave of deeper bass extension before arriving at its half power point. And that is just as significant. It would be easy to say that it is just wood. But going from sealed to ported might mean a 75% increase in external enclosure displacement. That wouldn't be a challenge with a single 10-inch but with dual 10s, that would be a major exercise.
    I look at your sub system now and wonder why you would tinker with it.

David
    Earmark Marine
    www.earmarkmarine.com

Ya David your right. Thanks for the kind words. Maybe if an amp goes bad or I cook a voice coil, I'll pm you for a better bass system