Default Wiring rocker switch for Johnson ballast pump...

Got three Johnson 12 gpm ballast pumps for my 06 24 ssv.. Im trying to find help on wiring the reversible pumps to the existing rocker switches. Any help would be great!!! I'm a total newb when it comes to all this.. I plan on just drilling just one extra hole in the bottom of the boat and putting a tee between the rear sacs. I only fill the port side ballast and and center sac, since the only thing we do is surf behind this boat. I also plan on putting an extra line attached to one of the pumps. So i can fill the extra sacs that i have quicker as well...

If you are using it as a reversible ballast pump, you will need a dedicated 20W DPDT rocker switch for each pump. Or, a complicated relay setup is needed in order to reverse the flow of a DC motor using a SPST switch. Thats why I like the Jabsco pumps. They come with a switch with labeled actuator and pre-wired switch connector and instructions.

Last edited by Wylietunes; 03-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Thanks! Ill just go pick up some new on-off-on rocker switches, maybe that will complicate it less..

Also, make sure to use adequate gauge wire if you're direct wiring the switches, especially if you're making long runs between switch and pump. The impeller pumps have a hefty inrush current when starting and you need enough voltage at the pump for the impeller to kick over when switching flow directions.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I have a roll of 12 gauge marine wire. Should I just pull in all new wire to the system? Would a inline fuse be a good idea? maybe between the batt and the fuse block under the dash.

You need to know what the pumps draw, (in amps) to determine your wire gauge. Just google "wire gauge chart", wire gauge is dependant on current and length. You will need wire from the switch to the first pump to handle the current of the 3 pumps combined. When you're sourcing your rocker switches you'll need something that is 3 times one pump as well. (assuming you're running all three pumps off the same switch), Switches are usually rated for DC and AC so you're looking for the DC current rating.
    Last edited by chris young; 03-09-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Those pumps have a about a 15A continuous and 20A spike. Most boats use a Carling Tech Contura rocker body. They have a 20A rating, so they will handle the current of 1 pump. They need to be a 6-pin Double Pole Double Throw (no illumination) or a 7-pin DPDT if you want the switch to light when the pump is running. So each pump needs to be wired to its own switch, unless you do the 3-relay per/pump configuration and use a single SPDT to trigger all 3 relay clusters at once. I would go with individual DPDT switches for each pump and ship the complex rely setup.

Your roll of 12ga will work fine. Just down forget to fuse each switch. Also, you need to make sure that the source you draw from, if it happens to be the helm BUSS, is able to handle the additional 50A current draw you are adding to it. If not, then you will need to run a pair of larger ga feed wires directly from the battery to the helm for the 3 switches.

You will need at least a 1.25" thru-hull setup if you plan to run all 3 pumps at once.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Thanks for the tips!!! I Finally got my two extra through hole fittings in the mail today! I decided to go ahead and drill the extra two holes instead of just using one. After the advice I received on here. I paid for them and have been waiting patiently for over 2 weeks, finally called to bug them, and they had forgot to place my order right after they remembered to take my money.. "Figures, This day and age".

We just got done setting up the new stereo systems, and installed underwater lights and surf bar light with the help of some friends. My oldest son is using the laser cutter to make me clear acrylic led speaker rings. I Cant bring myself to give anybody $70 for one pair of plastic rings. I lucked out that my kid kills it at math, and has worked at cnc shop since his freshman year of high school. They just got done making a 10 inch led ring for one of the local marine stereo shops. So we will have exactly what the stores are selling but for next to nothing. He's a senior now and I got to call in my first favor, and save myself some dough. We bought the acrylic from a local sign shop, it's actually as cheap as I thought is was. I cant believe the mark up on some of these boat products!!