Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to the Group, '89 Bravura from Washington State

First of all, thanks for the wealth of info everyone has chipped in to this site. What an amazing resource! Although some of the knowledge is terrifying as I review the projects that may lay ahead for me. LOL.

First question, it appears many of the photo threads are gone, am I correct in that assumption? I love checking out everyone's boats and getting new idea's, but it appears that not many have albums posted and the original photo thread/forum is expired. User error on my part?

Second, I have read a few threads on props. What is the consensus on the best all around prop for the 454 in the Bravura's?

Third, the previous owner put an 650cfm carb on . The boat has a wicked flat spot almost right out of the hole which is absolutely brutal when teaching beginner skiers or boarders. I would like to go back to the stock quadra jet (850cfm?) Any input?

Fourthly, my boat came with a matching cooler mounted behind the drivers seat? Was this a fairly common option?

Lastly, yes I was born prior to 1980 and I do love the older boats....and I always drool over most of then newer models. (especially the blue metallic flake anniversary editions... was that 2001 or 2006?, Does anyone have one of these? I believe it was a legacy?)

Thanks in advance,
    Attached Images Attached Images

And one more question, the previous owner disconnected the switch to the wake plate leaving it in the "up" position. Is this worth hooking back up?

Default New to the Group, '89 Bravura from Washington State

Welcome to the club! What part of Washington?

nice boat! BTW, Rochesters are 750 CFM, unless its off a Caddy 500, then its an 800 CFM...

Go with this, will get better performance than the quadrajet:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...marine-series/
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Quote Originally Posted by AJWEINS View Post
    First of all, thanks for the wealth of info everyone has chipped in to this site. What an amazing resource! Although some of the knowledge is terrifying as I review the projects that may lay ahead for me. LOL.

First question, it appears many of the photo threads are gone, am I correct in that assumption? I love checking out everyone's boats and getting new idea's, but it appears that not many have albums posted and the original photo thread/forum is expired. User error on my part?

Second, I have read a few threads on props. What is the consensus on the best all around prop for the 454 in the Bravura's?

Third, the previous owner put an 650cfm carb on . The boat has a wicked flat spot almost right out of the hole which is absolutely brutal when teaching beginner skiers or boarders. I would like to go back to the stock quadra jet (850cfm?) Any input?

Fourthly, my boat came with a matching cooler mounted behind the drivers seat? Was this a fairly common option?

Lastly, yes I was born prior to 1980 and I do love the older boats....and I always drool over most of then newer models. (especially the blue metallic flake anniversary editions... was that 2001 or 2006?, Does anyone have one of these? I believe it was a legacy?)

Thanks in advance,
    Welcome to the board. I had your boats twin, the Mariah, before I got my Saltare. Great boats. Even more rare that yours has the 454.

Answers:

1) The forum switched formats a few years ago so many of the old pictures are gone. There are many threads starting with the month in pictures, (september picture thread, August picture thread, etc)

2) Props, there is no easy way to answer that. It's essentially asking what tires are best for your car. Only you can really tell. Everyone uses their tires (props) for something different. Whether it be for cruising, bottom end power, wakeboarding, slaloming, etc. There are a lot of prop threads, but the best thing you can do is call up a place like Acme, tell them your boat, engine, transmission ratio (like 1:23:1 or 1:1 which yours probably is) and then tell them how you plan to use the boat. They are extremely knowledgeable and will guide you.

3) The stock carb on that boat was not a QJ 850, it was the Holley 650 (or Holley 4160 marine model). Many have put new carbs on their boats and love them. Since many of the newer carbs are more easy and advanced they can be beneficial for sure. An 850 will probably be a little overkill for your boat. I'd say look into the 750cfm range. Many here have had great luck with the Edelbrock carb series. That and a proper prop will really make your boat launch. Plus a solid tune up will really help.

4) The matching coolers are SUPER-RARE, keep that thing in pristine condition. For someone like me, to buy a boat with that still in it and in good shape lets me know this thing is cherry. Since your boat has the 454 and the cooler it would seem to me that the boat was ordered fully loaded. Those are both upfit options for your boat. So someone wanted the best of the Bravura/Mariah class.

5) Trim tab. Your boat did not come with an electronic trim tab, even fully loaded. But they can be easily added from Supra now-a-days and look like a factory option. If you have it, and can get it working it's a definite must to utilize. Having that feature is like having adjustable shocks in a vehicle, oh so nice to dial in that perfect ride when you need it.

Thanks! Woodinville to be exact.

Sharp looking boat! enjoy for all it has to offer!
    Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by 92SupraComp View Post
    nice boat! BTW, Rochesters are 750 CFM, unless its off a Caddy 500, then its an 800 CFM...

Go with this, will get better performance than the quadrajet:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...marine-series/
    Thanks 92SupraComp. We love the boat. I've wanted a comp since the 80's when I was in high school...but 3 kids and a bad "water over the bow" experience for my wife in a friends comp ended up in a Bravura. Marriage.

Thanks for the link, you'd recommend a 750 as far as size though?

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Welcome to the board. I had your boats twin, the Mariah, before I got my Saltare. Great boats. Even more rare that yours has the 454.

Answers:

1) The forum switched formats a few years ago so many of the old pictures are gone. There are many threads starting with the month in pictures, (september picture thread, August picture thread, etc)

2) Props, there is no easy way to answer that. It's essentially asking what tires are best for your car. Only you can really tell. Everyone uses their tires (props) for something different. Whether it be for cruising, bottom end power, wakeboarding, slaloming, etc. There are a lot of prop threads, but the best thing you can do is call up a place like Acme, tell them your boat, engine, transmission ratio (like 1:23:1 or 1:1 which yours probably is) and then tell them how you plan to use the boat. They are extremely knowledgeable and will guide you.

3) The stock carb on that boat was not a QJ 850, it was the Holley 650 (or Holley 4160 marine model). Many have put new carbs on their boats and love them. Since many of the newer carbs are more easy and advanced they can be beneficial for sure. An 850 will probably be a little overkill for your boat. I'd say look into the 750cfm range. Many here have had great luck with the Edelbrock carb series. That and a proper prop will really make your boat launch. Plus a solid tune up will really help.

4) The matching coolers are SUPER-RARE, keep that thing in pristine condition. For someone like me, to buy a boat with that still in it and in good shape lets me know this thing is cherry. Since your boat has the 454 and the cooler it would seem to me that the boat was ordered fully loaded. Those are both upfit options for your boat. So someone wanted the best of the Bravura/Mariah class.

5) Trim tab. Your boat did not come with an electronic trim tab, even fully loaded. But they can be easily added from Supra now-a-days and look like a factory option. If you have it, and can get it working it's a definite must to utilize. Having that feature is like having adjustable shocks in a vehicle, oh so nice to dial in that perfect ride when you need it.
    Thanks for the response Haugy. I will definitely take your advice on the prop situation, and I got an similiar earlier response on the carb situation as well, so I will head that direction as well.

Your reaction to the cooler made me laugh. When I looked at the boat and saw the cooler I had to have it. My wife could not for the life of her understand the importance.... good stuff. It is basically color matched with matching upholstry on the lid, and in pretty good shape considering the age.

Im shocked the trim tab is an add since the switch is on the factory dash. Was there and AUX switch on them all that they used? Was they're any other options on these? I have a ton of original paperwork that came with it, so I will double check and see if there is an original sticker or build sheet.

The floor is pretty stout for the most part, but I fear there is some rot under the drivers seat. It appears to have been re mounted at a slight angle and I am assuming the original screws stripped out. Unfortunately it is loose again and is going to need some attention this offseason. The boat only has 260 original hours on it and other that the black needing to be buffed out and the upholstrey showing some age, it seems to be pretty stout.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal waters View Post
    Sharp looking boat! enjoy for all it has to offer!
    Welcome aboard!
    Thanks Crystal Waters. we had a great July and August and are hoping to squeeze a few more days out of September. We lost a starter in August and ended up staying overnight on the boat so thank god it was a cuddy! LOL