Default 1990 Supra sunsport rebuild

What the heck did I get myself into. Got the floor torn out and ready to pull motor. Any suggestions on what glassing material to use to cover New wood?

I just had my floors done by my friend who does this for a living. He uses chopped stranded fiberglass mat when going over the wood for stringers. I was talking to him why not go with like S glass or biax and he said that it would leave pockets that it wouldn't seal the wood correctly. So thats all I found out and hopefully it helps you out.

If you dont mind me asking but how much did the materials cost to replace the stringers and glass them

Well my friend charged me $2200 to replace the floor but he do a few extra things but got it all done in a week. I would think the cost of material would be around that price if you were going to get everything for the rebuild. I priced it out and came to a price that was in that ball park. He also layed 4 layers when he was glassing over the wood.

$2200 is a great price for someone else to do the work. that is close to materials cost. i hope he gets a much better price for volume.

the choice of which resin to use for rebuilding is mostly a cost choice. epoxy costs more than poly. there are some pros & cons to each. your hull was made from poly resin and it's plenty strong. but, epoxy resin is a little more forgiving as it bonds to poly somewhat better than poly resin will bond to the original hull work. proper prep before glassing will make the poly bond just as strong. there are some other cost differences...if you use poly resin you must lay chopped strand mat (csm) first. without it, glass cloth won't lay down in the resin very well. the csm is essentially a sponge that helps wet the cloth laid over the top of it. if you use epoxy resin, you don't have to lay csm down first.

you're going to need in the neighborhood of 20 gal of resin to bed stringers, pre-seal stringers and floor, and glass everything. determine the costs of the 2 and decide which is best for you.

uscomposites.com is a great site for supplies.

Salty yeah I was glad to have someone else do it for that cost. He did get better pricing since he buys full rolls and 55 gal drums at a time I know his pricing is going to be better than my cost. I guess he is using poly resin since all he has is the strand mat at his shop.

20 gals sounds a bit excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    20 gals sounds a bit excessive.
    Based on what?

I used close to 25 for my Saltare....
    I also did 3 lay ups.... 3/4oz mat, 18oz woven roven, 3/4oz mat for the stringers.
    86 Saltare