Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Question Interested in a 1992 Sunsport. Need opinions.

EDIT: Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I did end up buying the boat. This thread will continue to be updated as a build thread to document and share the modifications I make to the boat as I own and enjoy it!
    Hi all. I've spent a lot of time around boats, but am considering pulling the trigger on actually owning my first one.

Here is what the ad says:

Price reduced - $10,900/offer. I need to make room for my new boat!

1992 Supra Sunsport
    Same hull as original Supra Launch
    Just turned 500 hours
    All fiberglass construction - no wood/no dryrot
    Tandem axle trailer

Updated with many wakeboarding features:
    Supra OEM tower and racks - tower folds down for storage
    Auto ballast system for a bigger wake
    Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro! (cruise control for a perfect wake)
    Low pitch prop to push around extra weight (original prop as backup)
    Bimini
    Custom cover that fits around tower feet
    Heater for those cold April mornings
    Fiberglass swim platform
    Standard stereo/cd deck with 4 speakers
    Dual battery with Perko switch

If you're looking for a budget wake boat, this is an excellent option. Do some research and you'll find that the best wakeboarding boats in this price range are:

Supra Sunsport - became Supra Launch
    Ski Nautique model 2001
    Sport Nautique - became Air Nautique
    Mastercraft ProStar 205 - became Mastercraft X-star
    Malibu Sunsetter - became Malibu Wakesetter

I am open to any reasonable offer as I bought a new boat. I need this one gone!
    And these were the only two images with the ad:

So, what do you think? What would be a good price/value for this? Anything to look out for? I've emailed to get better pictures and more info. He's had it for sale for quite a while (I swear I remember seeing it at the end of fall/beginning of winter) and the price has come down...

Here is his reply to my inquiry on the boat:

The boat is listed as 20'6" on the registration.

I can send some pictures tonight, but the boat has a rear bench seat with storage underneath (this is where the large ballast bag is stored). The trunk behind the rear seat has room for another ballast bag. And the rear platform is white fiberglass with black rubber matting.

It does not have a hot water shower.

Engine is PleasureCraft Marine (PCM) built off a Ford 351 V8.

Biggest issue is that the rear seats are badly cracked and should have the vinyl re-done. Estimated cost from Bentley's in Milwaukie was ~$300 total for new vinyl on those seats. All other interior is in pretty good condition for the age. Mechanically, no issues. New starter last year. New belts a couple of years ago. Engine oil and transmission oil changed at the end of the season last year during winterization. New brakes on the trailer. Boat is turn-key and ready to go other than the cracked rear seats.
    I'd like to believe that I've found that "amazing" deal but I've been burned before with things too good to be true.

It seems to have what I'm looking for in a tournament boat. I love to wakeboard and have done wakesurfing a few times and would adore doing more of that. I can slalom but it's not really my passion. I like that it has perfect pass and a ballast system listed. Obviously the tower/bimini. Heater is nice for here in the Pacific Northwest.

I have a wife and we get to see my 7 year old son 2 weekends a month and half the summer. We'd tow the boat with the Wife's Honda Ridgeline RTL with the factory tow package.

So, please give me any insight and advice...
    Last edited by trayson; 04-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Okay, here we go. Don't have a lot of time so this will be brief and short.

First off, if this boat does exist, and is in good running shape. JUMP ON IT.

First things first. The Sunsport DID NOT become the Launch. The Launch is a completely new hull design and boat. While it looks the same in size and general appearance, that boat is nothing like a Launch except size.

But it will still throw a great wake, ride well, etc. They guy is harping on that pretty hard, just wanted to clarify it.

The tower is a Supra OEM tower (New Dimensions). That tower would easily cost you over $1,000 if you got it on a boat that didn't have the tower. So that's a big plus.
    Everything else is run of the mill nice. The trailer looks to be the original. So check out it's condition before hauling a long distance.

Check all the electronics on it, and I mean every switch, light, button, doo-dad, etc.

The only thing that would worry me is the lack of more pictures. See how bad the rear is. But in all reality, a boat like this that seems to be in pretty good shape, with those features would normally probably go for $11k-12K. So he's not out of the realm of a realistic price.

Get him to $10K and you have a helluva deal.

Edit--**What Haugy said!**

I would not say that the deal is "amazing" as much as it is priced right. My best advice is to take the boat out and run it through it's paces before purchase. That way you will know that it does and has everything it says. From there, you can negotiate on price. It wouldn't hurt to do a compression test either so you know the motor has plenty of life left. Ask for any maintenance records.

FWIW--I bought my '93 2 years ago for the similar price they are asking with less features. The boat is great to wake and surf behind. I have 1800lbs of ballast and the boat handles it just fine.

I'd be curious to see pics of the auto ballast system...something that's on my to do list.
    Last edited by kvand347; 03-27-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Haugy beat me to it!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Well, sounds like Kevin spoke to my next question: "Would it do a realistic job as is (single ballast bag under the rear bench) for wakesurfing? I wouldn't expect the most epic experience ever from a direct drive, but I'd like it to at least be an option..." Although I doubt that a single bag under the bench is going to be 1800 pounds of ballast!

I'm really tempted (as I just did our taxes and have a bit of a return coming plus some money I saved from last year). It has some of the things that I'd want to do anyway (ballast/perfect pass).

You would be hard pressed to be able to surf that boat with one bag. It needs weight!!

See pics here: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...=kvand347+surf
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    You would be hard pressed to be able to surf that boat with one bag. It needs weight!!

See pics here: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...=kvand347+surf
    Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised. obviously, a v-drive would be a dream; but I don't see myself getting one outfitted like this in this kinda of price range...

I'll see what happens when he sends me the pics tonight. *so tempting*

Perfect pass is going to be awesome to have on it! It's at the top of my list right now for my boat. Only $300 to go until I can afford it...that is, if the wife doesn't make me buy a new HDTV instead! Decisions, decisions!

I'd say you probably won't be disappointed if you purchase it. I absolutely love my boat and am itching to take it out. This time last year I was already out riding! This year it looks like I won't be able to get out until May.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Perfect pass is going to be awesome to have on it! It's at the top of my list right now for my boat. Only $300 to go until I can afford it...that is, if the wife doesn't make me buy a new HDTV instead! Decisions, decisions!

I'd say you probably won't be disappointed if you purchase it. I absolutely love my boat and am itching to take it out. This time last year I was already out riding! This year it looks like I won't be able to get out until May.
    Well, I *do* suffer from Recreation A.D.D. I have toooo many hobbies and never enough time/money to enjoy them all.

In the wintertime, I am up skiing and snowboarding with my family pretty much every weekend. I'm up to 24 snowboard days this year!

When the weather turns nice, my fairweather activities include my other toys. I have a sportbike (2005 ZX6R), my 1998 BMW M3 Convertible, and a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that was built for rock crawling. I also have a little Chalet camping trailer (obviously can't tow that and the boat at the same time though!! Arg.) But I'm not one that has any desire to have a big huge tow rig. So, I'd imagine that we'll use the boat locally mostly. We have a lot of lakes and rivers here, so that's not a big problem. My poor Jeep hasn't been getting much use at all. And I have a feeling that if I get a boat, it's going to be my newest love. I also started to get back into bicycling last year, but who knows how much attention that will get, LOL.

We're just breaking into spring here (Portland/Vancouver area). In fact, the forecast is spring fever for Saturday: Sunny and 74!!! Makes it hard to think about playing on the mountain with weather like that! Of course, if I actually had this boat, I could do a "double board" day--and snowboard in the morning, wakeboard in the afternoon. That'd be some serious weekend warrior action!

Here are some more pictures...

Any more feedback?