Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

It's your exhaust resonating off the water and the swim platform. Let me take a wild guess here...you have the fiberglass swim platform, flapper exhaust and it occurs around 13-18 MPH or so in the range where you are not truly on plane and not displaced either.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    It's your exhaust resonating off the water and the swim platform. Let me take a wild guess here...you have the fiberglass swim platform, flapper exhaust and it occurs around 13-18 MPH or so in the range where you are not truly on plane and not displaced either.
    No, wood platform but the rest is pretty much spot on. Towed a skier this weekend and at 30 on a plane it is smooth as silk, just the part throttle thing. The guy I towed is a pretty seasoned slalom guy and he couldn't stop raving about the ride, said it was the best he'd ever been behind.

My comp doesn't vibrate at all, loaded down or completely empty, no vibes, no resonating...

I wonder if your driveshaft is slightly bent.

Default help with comp decision

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPR View Post
    My comp doesn't vibrate at all, loaded down or completely empty, no vibes, no resonating...

I wonder if your driveshaft is slightly bent.
    I'm looking at this via my iPhone at the moment so I can't see signatures with boats/years but if your a newer boat as in not a classic vintage, you might have mufflers that deaden the sound. I know I don't and that is the reason at certain speeds my boat exhaust is just ridiculous in the boat. But it's only at that one speed regime and it literally started the moment I removed the Supertrapps and went to straight pipes with flappers.

Also, even a slight driveline issue would be noticeable at all speeds I would think.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

It's a 98, with flaps under the teak, 350 Indmar

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    That's my 1992 Comp to the T!
    haha
    -Mike
    92 Supra Comp
    351 PCM

Well, found the leak...the hard way. My bilge pump took a crap and I wasn't paying attention and I had about 8" of standing water in the bilge! When I adjusted the stuffing box I either got it too tight or the packing was shot because it was leaking quite a bit again. I just repacked it again with the gore tex stuff, I will sneak up on the adjustment this time to be sure. While I had the floor up I shot some grease in the rudder for grins, what a pita! I had to put a 90 deg zerk in it to get the grease gun on it.

There is a small hole next to the bilge on my composite comp, looks to be a weep hole? Water comes out of it when I empty the bilge sump completely (on the trailer).

My sister took a picture of it on the water, this is just as I am pulling in after noticing the water in the bilge, looks a little lower than usual!

Wow, I have the exact same resonance problem! 1992, with dual 3.5", fiberglass deck, only thing though, The first owner (I am 2nd) over heated the exhaust, bad. So now my "muffler" is a giant hollow tube on the back of my motor. It is heard over 2 miles away (sweet), but from 1100 to 1900 rpm, is unbearable! Also, guys, I have the wood motor box base, but the newer Supra look, Is my comp Composite? Would love to hear it if it is. Those CCFan guys brag about how in 93 CC made ONLY the Ski N. Composite in 93 and up... Just found out about the composite in 1992 and the lifetime warranty. (My dad knew about the useless warranty lol!)
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

I think the comp is just a noisy boat......not a problem for me, I like it!

If your 92 has the round windshield it will be a composite, if it has the square windshield probably not is the general concensus from all of my research. While I haven't seen a wood comp in person one easy way to tell is to open the motor box and peel a little bit of carpet back from the edge of the floor deck. Mine looks like a really loose particle board that is clearly a fiberglass type of material (not plywood), I believe this is the "starboard" composite deck material. Also, if you look at the stringer area in the bilge there are no visible seams or anything anywhere, it looks like a single piece that is all the same color. From the pictures of wood ones I have seen the bilge area isn't like that.

My motor box and the seat bases are wood but I don't believe there is any wood below the water line. This was a huge factor in whether or not I bought a comp, the stringer redo project is not for me..
    Last edited by blazerman; 07-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.

I agree on the stringers... I have done a little more, I have the composite boat.

And, oh, believe me I love a loud boat. My comp is heard over 2 miles away. It has to make up for the CC. You see, 88 and before CC had the standard dual 3" exhaust. Nice sound, not to loud, not too quiet. Just about right. But, in 89, CC got into the 'good neighbor policy". So that meant silencers for all of their boats. I can't hear our CC once it gets 1/8 mile away. Its like an i/o

Just, between 1100 to 1900 rpms is unbearable inside the boat.
    Last edited by 92SupraComp; 07-24-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow