Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Wow, I'm glad I asked. I was under the impression anything built after 93 was composite, that would have been a big mistake. What would I look for to be sure if I do make the trip to look at it?

A comp with a round windshield would be more than likely composite. I think the Classics were created due to the slow boat sales in the late 90's and people were looking for a bargin new boat pricing. If it has the square I am 95% cetain it is a all wood construction.

Are you fixed on a comp ?? If so look for one with a recent stringer reconstruction. Typicialy these boats are built better than factory.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Haugy, correct me if I am wrong but didn't Supra or whoever owned the line back in the late 90's do a "retro" style boat with the classic windshield and cap but all new composite construction below? Thought we beat this one to death a few months back.

Sorry to add even more confusion but I think this boat might truly be a composite boat with the look of the classic comp without the wood stringers. This boat might have a few things made out of wood like seat bases or a dog house base but that is nothing to really worry about as the structure and stringers should not be wood.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Haugy, correct me if I am wrong but didn't Supra or whoever owned the line back in the late 90's do a "retro" style boat with the classic windshield and cap but all new composite construction below? Thought we beat this one to death a few months back.

Sorry to add even more confusion but I think this boat might truly be a composite boat with the look of the classic comp without the wood stringers. This boat might have a few things made out of wood like seat bases or a dog house base but that is nothing to really worry about as the structure and stringers should not be wood.
    Jetlink, you're right.

Sorry I didn't jump in here earlier. Yes, even though it is old style, the 1997 Supra Comp will be all composite inside, just classic exterior. They did make a Comp Classic to match the old styling but was built using the more modern techniques of composite. Since the lower hulls hadn't changed yet, it was very easy for them to make a new style lower hull with all composite structure, and put an older cap on top. Some of the reasoning I heard (but could have been a rumor) was they had quite a few extra top-caps left-over and this was a way to move them out of storage.

Personally I'd jump all over the Classic. I prefer the older style, but would love to find one that is all composite.

Let's see some pics of the two you're comparing.
    Last edited by haugy; 04-03-2013 at 09:55 AM.

First of all, thanks for clearing this up for me. I have been looking for an old school square windshield comp for several years but the wood stringers scare me away from any boat that isn't spotless so I thought the later model ones would be the perfect solution. If the wood is only in the doghouse and seat frames I can live with that but have no desire to deal with deck and stringers. The '90 that I was looking at sold real quick for way too much money (probably someone who didn't know about the potential rot issues) so that option is out at this point. I am going to go check out the late model one this weekend, it is a little rougher but a little elbow grease and a few bucks will get it right.
    I still don't really know how to confirm composite stringers, do they look different? Where is the easiest place to confirm?
    Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post

I must of missed that thread.... Was going from what I rembered in researching my comp many years ago.... If that is the case in composite stringer then this would be a slam dunk IMO. I too prefer the square windshield with the benifits of composite..... PERFECT!!!

So in 92+ all boats are stringer composite then no matter windshield design???

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    I must of missed that thread.... Was going from what I rembered in researching my comp many years ago.... If that is the case in composite stringer then this would be a slam dunk IMO. I too prefer the square windshield with the benifits of composite..... PERFECT!!!

So in 92+ all boats are stringer composite then no matter windshield design???
    No...in 1992 they made three barebones models with square windshields that were still wood stringers. The impulse, the spirit and the something else that eludes me right now...it's possible that one can say 1993 and on are composites though. I guess the comp classic is the one oddball.

My 1992 saltare has composite stringers, but the doghouse base, seat bases and backing plates (rudder and strut) are wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    No...in 1992 they made three barebones models with square windshields that were still wood stringers. The impulse, the spirit and the something else that eludes me right now...it's possible that one can say 1993 and on are composites though. I guess the comp classic is the one oddball.

My 1992 saltare has composite stringers, but the doghouse base, seat bases and backing plates (rudder and strut) are wood.
    Right on the money. You have to be careful with the 92's. They could still be wood stringer. I know the Impulse, and the Esprit, but can't think of another.

FWIW--My '93 has a wood doghouse base and some wood in the instrument panel. Seat bases, stringer, etc. are all composite.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

OK, went and saw this boat, now I need advice....
    The good:
    It is a 97 composite comp classic with the square windshield, the only wood I could find was in the motor cover, everything else is composite including seat frames.
    The exterior of the boat isn't in bad shape, just needs to be cleaned up and buffed.
    The colors are maroon and white, there is an absence of the 80s colors
    The steering turns free, prop looks good, generally mechanically clean
    All the fluids look/smell OK
    No evidence of salt water use

The bad:
    It has been outside and unused for the last 2 years under a cover, 680 hours on the clock
    It won't stay running for more than about 10 seconds (carb or fuel pump???)
    The exhaust manifold risers and bolts are corroded all to hell on the bottom side
    When running on the hose water comes out of what appears to be the exhaust risers but unable to confirm, the boat wasn't winterized last year but no leaks from the block.
    The bilge pump doesn't work
    The wing windows are missing from the windshield
    The dash is scratched & faded
    The carpet has some frays/tears
    The seats have some tears on the edges but overall OK
    The trailer rims are rusted (chrome rims)
    There is a dime sized chunk out of the gel coat on the hull toward the back

I still think I can make the boat what I want it to be but it will take some work. What do you think the boat is worth, opinions are appreciated