Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

after seeing the build quality in my '86 while restoring it, and reading these posts....

ya'll have me just about convinced that when I finally have the money to buy a new boat, it's not going to be a supra/moomba.

my '85 sunsport was a great boat (bought used in '94 sold in '97)
    but I got it used and sold it before it had any rot problems.

Is supra still using wood anywhere in the construction of these boats?

I don't think they have used any wood since somewhere in the early 90's. I don't know that I would jump to a negative conclusion so quickly about the quality of these boats. When you read through enough of the posts, you will see there are many more people who love these boats than hate them. The main complaint I've seen about wood rot in the older boats, but most of the time, when you get down to it, these boats have been "rode hard and put away wet". Twenty plus years is a long time for any ride, and a boat is going to get wet through normal use, and if it is not taken care of, the wood parts will rot. Mine is a 88 Comp that has sat undisturbed and negelected for over 10 years. I am about ready to put the ole gal back in the water, and what has really impressed me is how good of shape this boat was once I cleaned off all the crud.

You are probably right - it just really burns me to hear of quality problems in this day and age with 6 sigma, iso 14000, and the influx of japanese koreans and chinese into any and all manufacturing sectors.

When will our fellow Americans understand the importance of quality and take pride in their own workmanship?

OK - off the soapbox.

Boats are much more sensitive to care than cars.

Boats that sit in the water for example, not on a trailer or in a boat lift are going to be much worse off. My '85 sunsport had to float all summer - I had no $$ for a lift - so I had to make sure the batteries were always charged and the bilge auto function worked properly.

I've been on this lake now only 3 years - there are several nautiques, a few mastercrafts, malibus, 1 or 2 moombas, and about 4 supras of the newer vintage, with probably 3-4 supras like ours.

The boats vary widely in condition and care. One lawyer just spent $$ for a new interior in his malibu - and routinely lets it sit uncovered. A friend with a '95 nautique wipes it down each and every time he puts it on his lift and his boat with over 770 hours literally looks new.

I just hope Supra / Moomba will get their act together - on an item priced this high and with the invaluable leisure time of customers hanging in the balance - they'd better get it done right - quick.

Quote Originally Posted by milner351
    You are probably right - it just really burns me to hear of quality problems in this day and age with 6 sigma, iso 14000, and the influx of japanese koreans and chinese into any and all manufacturing sectors.

When will our fellow Americans understand the importance of quality and take pride in their own workmanship?

OK - off the soapbox.

Boats are much more sensitive to care than cars.

Boats that sit in the water for example, not on a trailer or in a boat lift are going to be much worse off. My '85 sunsport had to float all summer - I had no $$ for a lift - so I had to make sure the batteries were always charged and the bilge auto function worked properly.

I've been on this lake now only 3 years - there are several nautiques, a few mastercrafts, malibus, 1 or 2 moombas, and about 4 supras of the newer vintage, with probably 3-4 supras like ours.

The boats vary widely in condition and care. One lawyer just spent $$ for a new interior in his malibu - and routinely lets it sit uncovered. A friend with a '95 nautique wipes it down each and every time he puts it on his lift and his boat with over 770 hours literally looks new.

I just hope Supra / Moomba will get their act together - on an item priced this high and with the invaluable leisure time of customers hanging in the balance - they'd better get it done right - quick.
    I agree! Since you're in Belleville, your statement is even more poignant, since you're most likely boating on Ford or Belleville Lake, which exist because of a Ford Motors Facility (insert comment on the decline of the American manufacturing sector here).

My frustration with quality glitches doesn't lie with the service provided by my dealer and the Skiers Choice Rep (they have tried very hard to take care of me); it lies with the fact the 1) The Michigan boating season in really short and 2) Supras are marketed and priced as Premium Luxury Ski Boats (see the badges on the seats!). While they are priced below Nautiques and Mastercrafts, they are tauted as "more boat for the money". Does "more boat" include quality, as well? I LOVE my Supra, however it troubles me to think that after really spending 4 total months in the water (mine is docked) and having less than 50 hours on the engine, I'm having glitches that I wasn't expecting to deal with for at least a few seasons. Could you imagine buying an Acura and having to take it back to the dealer every 10 days, on average for the first 4 months of use?