Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden

Default Garden

I can't remember if I posted last year or not, but we recently started our 2nd year of a vegetable garden. We had some lessons learned from last year and already seeing better results this year. Here are some pictures of the beginning configuration.

[/quote]

Had some issues with the dogs getting in the boxes so we fenced it in.

Early growth progress...

Planted the warm weather stuff this weekend and interspersed some herbs and companion plants, including some marigold and nasturtium seed. Here's a few updated pics...

Modified the layout a bit from the original and marked up where I added in some herbs. I surrounded all the cukes and squash with nasturtium and spread some mairgold in any areas I had a little space. I addition, added four half-circle pots to the outside of four of the boxes for more herb/companion plant space.

that's quite a setup, okie. you've planted a bunch of different things. i've never tried growing potatoes, green beans, carrots...alot of what you planted. sounds yummy.

have you ever heard of neem oil? a friend told my wife about it. it's an organic alternative to pesticide.

this is the garden we made a few years ago. it's been dormant for the past 2 years. both my wife and i have been too busy with work. i miss the goodies, store bought veggies have no flavor. we've been meaning to plant tomatoes and peppers (hot) this year but haven't gotten around to it yet. my dogs love the garden too. they pick the tomatoes off the vine when we're not looking and couldn't care less about ripeness.

I like your set up. Maybe you need to make some time to grow again...LOL! I have some additional work to mine that will end up being a good structure for vertical growth and allow me to do some shading and weather protection as needed. I should be doing that in the next couple weeks and I'll post some pics. I've heard of neem oil, but haven't tried it. Last year, our local nursery got me started with an organic pesticide that has spinosad in it, which is a byproduct of compost piles of spent sugar cane...kind of cool. I like the idea of being as organic as possible, trying to do some companion planting and use natural methods for fertilizing and insects.

Wow, got some crazy weather this week. Thunderstorms followed by sub-freezing temperatures. We had to figure out a way to cover and protect everything, so we covered the entire area with some tarps. So far so good...we have another night of freezing then it warms up.

A bit of an update...

We took a pretty good hit from hail recently and it took a while for things to recover. We replaced a few of the young plants and others have worked their way back. We were able to have our first salad out of the garden Saturday and everything seems to be growing well.

We've built a structure for allowing the area to be fenced in and the ability to use welded wire as trellis for tall and climbing items. This idea should work well for if we wanted to cover the area for hail, install shade material for the hot part of summer, and it does hold the potential for putting clear plastic over to create a greenhouse. As you can see in the pictures, the fencing around the outside is up as are all the structural supports. I put the first piece of welded wire up on the back of the box against the fence for the green beans and cucumbers to climb on.

So far, so good...hopefully we will continue to see good growth.

Last edited by Okie Boarder; 05-15-2013 at 11:36 PM.