Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stripped Tower bolts on 06 22SSV

I have a 06 22SSV with 50 hours on it. One of the tower bolts is already stripped and I fear the other will strip out after time. I have to lower my tower to store it, so the threads get used each time I go out. I figured they would stip eventually, but not this soon. This is a poor design in my opinion. It seems like they should have used some sort of steel insert rather than screwing directly into the aluminum. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so what was the resloution? The book says that this is not covered under the warranty, which I find to be suspect in the first place.

Default Replying to Topic 'Stripped Tower bolts on 06 22SSV'

Steel into aluminum is always a bad choice when you have to take the tower down daily or each time you go out. One thing that would help is anti-seize on the bolts for lubrication so the threads are not pulled on so hard, and the other is to drill and put heli-coil stainless steel thread inserts in.

Also turn the bolts backwards at first while pushing them in. You'll feel them click or drop in just a little when the threads properly engage. Then tighten them down. This eliminates a lot of the possibilties of cross threading which can be a big problem threading steel into aluminum.

I second the ant-seize. That stuff works great.

Call Skier's Choice, I am sure they are receiving complaints, but they are usually not responsive. Ask for someone in Warranty repair

Originally posted by mdsmgu
    but they are usually not responsive
    Huh? I've heard alot of people gripe about their dealers, but i honestly think that's the first time i've heard a complaint about Skier's Choice itself. Did you have a bad experience? If so, from the experiences i've had and ones heard of, SC will bend over backwards to address a customer's complaints. My boat's 14 years old and every time i've called them for a part, it's been on my doorstep the next day.

Cheers,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

You are correct with a 1992 model Supra, but try buying a new one built after 2000, all they do is fall apart. Skiers Choice is only responsive after you force the situation. My dealer is great, but the first 10 weeks Skiers Choice was terrible, they finally took the Boat back and the Warranty Repair area was very comprehensive, On the Tower Bolts, that are stripped, more than likely the Tower needs to come off and replaced or re-bolted, they had to on mine.

You are correct with a 1992 model Supra, but try buying a new one built after 2000, all they do is fall apart. Skiers Choice is only responsive after you force the situation. My dealer is great, but the first 10 weeks Skiers Choice was terrible, they finally took the Boat back and the Warranty Repair area was very comprehensive, On the Tower Bolts, that are stripped, more than likely the Tower needs to come off and replaced or re-bolted, they had to on mine.

Now it is 14 to 15 weeks after purchase, and I continue to have major problems, and Skiers Choice is NOT stepping up and taking care of THEIR problem. I would highly recommend someone to research the different manufacturers of boats before they buy a new Skiers Choice boat.

So, what is majorly wrong with your boat that Skiers Choice is not stepping up about? Sounds like your dealer is not doing its job very well.

I had all kind of warranty work done, and my dealer worked so hard dealing with SC, that I did not have to do anything. They even repaired gelcoat blisters. So, while SC might have some flaws in their boats, they certainly have stood behind anything I showed my dealer.

Just curious about the problems you are seeing.