Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All-Terrain Tires

So, I'm thinking about going to A/T tires on our truck. I like the look of the real aggressive tires, but not sure I want to deal with the noise. I've been doing a little looking and talking to a couple tire shops, but thought I would get some personal feedback. What do y'all like and why?

I'm kind of leaning towards the BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain right now, but would like to see some opinions.

This is the Rugged Terrain:

This is more the "look" I like:

I have the Rugged Terrain (275/65/1 on my Tundra. They came with the truck stock and I'm actually replacing them tomorrow. They have 44k on them now and could probably go to 50+ before they really need to be replaced. I'm not on the wear bar yet but it's close. I'm either replacing them with 295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers (Your second pic) or the Nitto Trail Grapplers. The Terra's are more practical but the Trails look so good so I'm probably going to go with them even though I have no use for an off road tire.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers though.

The Rugged Terrain handle pretty well, they are quiet, and look OK. I want a better looking and bigger tire so thats the reason for the switch. Since they are the only tire I've had on the truck I can't compare them to anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '11 Ronix District 143
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: Liquid Force Faction 44
    Surf: Broadcast & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

I'm currently running the Terra Grapplers and have been happy with them. I would have bought the trails if they had them in my size.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

So how is road noise for you Terra Grappler guys? Say compared to a car street type tire.

What i run isn't an all terrain tire but i love them, i've had them on several trucks and a Bronco. It's the cooper stt. They aren't nearly as noisy as they look.

Wish i had a pic without all the snow.

Well, we started re-thinking and considering maybe we wanted to go more aggressive and not worry too much about the noise, so we were considering going with the Terra Gapplers or something similar over the BFG Rugged Terrain.

So, we went to Discount Tire this evening so the wife could look at the different choices and offer her opinion. The guy we worked with was very helpful and knowledgeable. He has run several sets of BFG A/T KO's and raved about them. We seemed to settle on the Nitto Terra Grappler as our favorite (in our price range), but I had him run the numbers on them versus the BFG's. We were looking at about $1400 vs $1700 and I told him we probably couldn't do the BFG's since they were above our $1500 budget. He played with the numbers a bit and offered up the BFG's for $1580 so we took it. We will be getting them put on tomorrow.

2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '11 Ronix District 143
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: Liquid Force Faction 44
    Surf: Broadcast & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

Before

After

I think they look good and should perform well. The aren't really very noisy at all.

Same tires I have on the Avy! Love them. A little slippery in the snow, but great on gravel and in the fields. When the white letters get dirty, I've found that simple green and a brush brings them right back.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden