Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1989 Mariah Rudder Packing Nut

I searched through the forum and saw this topic mentioned, but didn't find the details that I need (at least that I saw).

Water is leaking from around the rudder and I am hoping that the rudder packing nut needs only to be tightened (Was loose to the touch. Attached is a picture of the packing nut. Does anyone have a procedure for retightening the nuts? Including access to the area and tabs?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366548477.656127.jpg

Tightening the packing nut may not solve your issue completely. I can clearly see that the glass holding your backing plate for the rudder is cracked and the wood is likely toast...

Thanks for the quick response.
    We observed water coming in through the top of the packing nut which is why we were focusing on the nut. No water observed from the glass crack.

Fair enough...but once you deal with tightening the nut, I can assure you that you are going to see water seeping from there. It'll be slow, but it needs to be addressed.

As for the packing nut, I just took a large flathead and straightened the prongs and tightened the nut...but, it is also possible that it needs to be repacked with new rope.

I had the same rudder set up as you. When I finally figured out how to take it apart I found NO packing material in the nut, the wood backing was rotted, and the rudder shaft worn badly from the previous owner not taking care of it. Since I had to tear out the rotted wood backing I elected to replace the whole thing with a new rudder from SkiDim and not have to deal with it and potential leaking in the future. For me that was the right choice. If your wood base is rotted you'll have quite a job dealing with it but it's not that bad. I have some pics of the rudder all taken apart and laid out if that would be helpful.
    1991 SunSport

Replacing the backing plate is a relatively easy job for even a newbie...grind, clean, glass, drill. Doesn't even have to look good.

Sounds good. Any pictures of this process (even rudder replacement, wood repair, etc.) would be welcomed.

This is a test.

Well I seem to be unable to post pictures. Changed to a MAC and the process seems different? I don't know. Im working on it
    Last edited by inair; 04-22-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    1991 SunSport

Might be due to your post count...does anyone know what that number is?