Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perfect pass - what model do you have?

I'm interested in getting perfect pass at some point, but I'm trying to decide which version and the pros and cons of each. What do you have? Does it work for both wakeboarding and surfing? Do you find it accurate?

I don't have it on my boat, but I'd be more than happy to try each one out for you if you're buying! That way you can keep the one you like, and I can keep the one you don't. Deal?
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

96Comp Guest

Stargazer. Works great for wakeboard, surf, slalom.

look at this http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady works great a lot less money and good guys to deal with
    1986 TSM6
    1987 SALTERA

Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. Works fine for both, though I've only surfed it a few times the speed seems steady. I chose Wakeboard Pro (paddlewheel) over GPS for two reasons, primarily because I ride on a tidal river, there's always a current and it's always changing. GPS simply does not work well for this as your speed over water will not be accurate and will vary every time you change directions. The other reason is I wanted to have a water temperature reading, which you can only get with a fitting through the hull. I'm happy with the paddlewheel setup.

The only thing I don't like is the paddlewheel is not accurate over 28-30 MPH and reads low. It's the nature of this style paddlewheel, though at that speed the Airguides are more responsive and accurate. This does not help me as my pitot gets clogged frequently. I will likely replace my remaining Airguide with a GPS speedometer or do a GPS conversion on the Airguide. This will allow me to calibrate the paddlewheel and the slalom mode (RPM) at slack tide without having to use the GPS on my phone, as well as have a consistent (if inaccurate) analog speedometer.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't GPS speed over land and paddlewheel is speed over water? If currents do not affect a paddlewheel then I don't understand any of these systems at all.
    Last edited by Ptownkid; 05-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't GPS speed over land and paddlewheel is speed over water? If currents do not affect a paddlewheel then I don't understand any of these systems at all.
    I have the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. I've just got the boat, so don't have much to compare it with, but it seems to work just fine.

I did find this on the Perfect Pass FAQ, although you'll need someone smarter than me to describe why:

4. Q. We ride in a river with significant current, is GPS the right way to go?
    GPS is based on speed over ground, so if you have strong currents you may wish to stay with the paddle wheel. Running Star Gazer in slow currents may require a tweak of the set speed to adjust for the current.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

That is so confusing...but thanks. I thought GPS was the way to compensate for this...meaning if you are heading north, and giving it just enough throttle to perfectly oppose the flow going south then the GPS would read zero. Whereas the paddlewheel would read whatever current was passing under the boat and display it as the speed.

What am i missing?
    Last edited by Ptownkid; 05-13-2013 at 08:46 PM.

You are absolutely right. Now think about the person on the wakeboard. There experiencing a speed equal to the current. Like running on a treadmill, your not going anywhere but you sure are running hard! Now also realize that the boat speed is showing 0 with the gps system because you aren't moving compared to a paddlewheel system that is actually showing the speed of the current because the boat isn't moving.

The exact speed needed for a wakeboarder or surfer is of the board moving over the surface of the water not the boats indicated speed. If its not clear try Youtubing "can a airplane take off from a treadmill" its the same concept.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Ptownkid View Post
    That is so confusing...but thanks. I thought GPS was the way to compensate for this...meaning if you are heading north, and giving it just enough throttle to perfectly oppose the flow going south then the GPS would read zero. Whereas the paddlewheel would read whatever current was passing under the boat and display it as the speed.

What am i missing?
    That sounds right to me..... I think they have a typo or misunderstood the question.... unless the current adds too much speed so even though the boat is really going 20 add the current to that and now you are doing say 25 and would be to fast to wakeboard ? Maybe that's the reason?

LOL CornRicky beat me to it
    Last edited by Sirgonz; 05-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.