Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So an update to my problem...as much information I have on it....

I have replaced all of the fuel lines (they definitely needed replacing).

After that, I was still having problems, I hooked up an external 6 gallon tank while on the water straight to the fuel pump (to see if I had a fuel pump problem or if gas wasn't getting out of the tank). This external tank had a priming bulb and I realized that the fuel pump was not supplying enough pressure. I took the fuel pump off and took it apart and it was actually in pretty rough shape. So i'd figured I would go ahead and replace it.

This weekend I had the same problem (however I did fix some fuel/throttle drop off issues while driving around). I drove around for about an hour or so. Then the boat started hesitating when I put it in forward and would sputter and die as soon as I tried to give it more throttle. I lifted the dog house and realized that the fuel pump was very warm, I thought I may be having a vapor lock problem. I planned for this and I brought a squirt water bottle to cool off the fuel pump, I kinda limped it along between wakeboard pulls by using this method. Sometimes it would actually let me accelerate and sometimes it would die on me.

Eventually I turned the engine off and sat around for about 20 minutes with the doghouse up to vent hot air out of there, It ran fine for a couple more hours.

The gas I was using was not ethanol-free, however I do add the prescribed amount of sta-bil to any gas that I put in that has ethanol in it.

I think the issue is that the doghouse is getting too hot. Either vapor lock or some kind of electrical problem where the additional heat is increasing resistance somewhere.

One time I just dropped the anchor and ran the boat in neutral for a while and the boat eventually cut off, this leads me to think that the general doghouse area is overheating (with no ventilation) and is causing engine shutoff by either fuel cutoff or some electrical demon.

Thoughts? Any and all are appreciated. I'd like to diagnose before I throw any more parts at it.

I'm just going to try and help spit-ball ideas here but how about an eletrical fuel pump WITH a return line? That should be able to keep the fuel circulating and will prevent it from getting hot. Is your current fuel pump electric or is it mechanical?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

My current one is mechanical. I just got this guy from skidim . Maybe getting an electrical one would've been a good idea...

What electronic ignition did you out in? Most need a minimum voltage to trigger. Heat increases resistance. You maybe having a heat related coil issue. There cheap. Get one that is resistance spec'ed for the ignition.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I used this kit from skidim. If I remember right that would mean this ignition coil.

Looks like the coil comes with it. Make surethe installer removed the ballist resresistor. Additionally whars your thoughts on the hot discharge hose from your pump? Something sounds wrong here. That hose shoukd be cold. Water does not circulate here. It goes from the pump to the tstat housing an either goes into the block or out the exhaust manifold with no restriction.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

My boat came with an electric fuel pump and it has always amazed me that it's worked. It's pretty small and doesn't seem like it would provide enough fuel, but I've never had an issue.

It looks exactly like this one -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRTEX-E8337...a48eeb&vxp=mtr

It would be something cheap to try if you suspect that the problem is with your mechanical pump. I'd check your coil next time you have a problem, though. Maybe CornRickey is on to something.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Vapor Lock maybe? Just my 2 cents.

87 Supra Sunsport, 351Ford. Took out forfirst time this season. When running at idle, heat would jump to 200-205 but when running under throttle, temp would drop to normal.
    Thermostat or Impellar or should I check both, Thanks