Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default If you're bored......help me stripe the Saltare

Long story short, I'm putting the stripes back on my boat. The PO didn't remove them when they painted it, and now I have a lovely gap in the paint with gelcoat showing underneath. I have no idea if they sanded the hell out of the gelcoat before paint, so I'm not stripping the paint to find out.

So I'm going to put the stripes back on exactly as they were before...........except the colors. I don't hate the rainbow, but not for this boat.

I've met with a vinyl person and they are going to custom cut and place an exact replica of the original stripe. I've just got to choose the colors. The supra wave logo will also be placed back on in matching fashion.

My plan is a "ghost stripe". A hidden stripe that is there but not easily noticeable. This will hide the gelcoat "gap" and add a bit of traditional style while still being subtle.

The stripe is planned to be 2 3/4" high so that's 1/8 overlap from factory to cover up the seams of the paint/gelcoat transition.

The main center of the stripe will be black. And the outer edge will be a charcoal gray color. This will be a solid transition from black to gray, no gradient blend. The Supra logo will be the same, black with a gray outline.

I'm going to try and do this on photo shop, but feel free to help me if you're bored. Other ideas and colors are also welcome (que the unicorns and rainbows).

The cool thing is she will have the dimensions for the stripe when all done and she will be able to do other's stripes as well if you want them. All you have to do is choose the colors or graphic patterns.

I'm adding some pictures for you to have fun trying with, and to show the lovely stripe gap.

love the idea of the ghost stripe but wondering if , by your description , the main part of the stripe being black will be lost against the black side of the boat and what one will see will be two narrow grey stripes separated by the black color of the boat?
    What if you made the middle ( main part ) of the stripe a pantone color 403 and then the upper and lower parts of the stripe a
    pantone color cool grey 3u. Just a thought but feel you might get more of a ghost look that way.

How much is all of this going to cost? Now that your source will have the stripe/logo on file I might use that option, as the stripes from my PO are starting to peel off.

I like the idea of grays on your black gel, but I agree with crystal waters that you should be careful not to lose your primary stripe, especially to distant viewers..

Quote Originally Posted by crystal waters View Post
    love the idea of the ghost stripe but wondering if , by your description , the main part of the stripe being black will be lost against the black side of the boat and what one will see will be two narrow grey stripes separated by the black color of the boat?
    What if you made the middle ( main part ) of the stripe a pantone color 403 and then the upper and lower parts of the stripe a
    pantone color cool grey 3u. Just a thought but feel you might get more of a ghost look that way.
    That's actually what I'm hoping for. I like the naked look, but this would help hide the gap while not being overly done. The small stripe on TnTitans' helped me decide. A nice small clean stripe. I could look at doing an off-black color with the gray striping to add more effect to the overall stripe. That could be very cool too.

in the PMS matching system the next color just a shade lighter than black is 405 black ,then 404, then 403 black , then 402 black
    Pull up a pantone color guide on line and compare . Perhaps by going to the 404 black you will get hardly any contrast on the main stripe but just enough for the ghosting effect and then use like a 401 or 400 for the upper and lower stripes.
    By going this way you may also achieve your need to hide the gap.

It was what was available at the time. Others are being planned since I received the true logo from members here.

I love the idea of a ghosted look. I'm also not following the black middle stripe concept because I think it'll blend too much and just look like two grey stripes. I'm guessing about any color will cover the gap, so I'm wondering about something like a dark grey and a light grey stripe combination.

To answer Chris' question ... a lot if Pantone colors are used. Also, multiple colors per graphic add up significantly. I considered outlining my recent Supra and wave graphics, but the cost was prohibitive and I just didn't think it was worth the added cost. For reference I'll include a pic below.

And yeah, what's with the wrong Supra logo?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Man I love that graphic! Simple, classic understatement that really sets the boat off. Of course that trailer is over the top and I'll be embarrassed to be in the same parking lot at the reunion!
    1991 SunSport

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    And yeah, what's with the wrong Supra logo?
    Because the font on my trailer logo is the newer font, not the real one like on your boat. Yeah, tomorrow I should find out some numbers of what she's expecting.
    I had to go with a local one because the one TNTitan used was dumber than a woodpecker on an aluminum telephone pole. I gave them the graphic, the sizes, and the colors and they still couldn't get me any info. I don't know how you got yours to look so good with them.

Found a nice before picture with the old stripes. I'll be photoshopping them tomorrow.

Last edited by haugy; 05-13-2013 at 11:08 PM.

Here are two I'm playing around with. One is definitely subtle. The other stands out a bit more. I'm kinda torn. Both look okay (other than my quick graphics work in a rush).

Last edited by Jetlink; 05-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.