Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alternator Upgrade Options?

Okay, my understanding is that I have a pretty weak factory alternator in my 92 Supra Sunsport.

This summer I'll be adding a 4x100 watt alpine amp for the 4 speakers and another Rockford Fosgate Punch 360.2 amp that will be running 360 watts mono for a subwoofer.

So, taking that into consideration, I'll be using around 560 watts more than before at RMS. So at 12 volts, 560 watts = another 46 amperes of load on the system, right? (watts = amps * volts)

Eventually I'll probably add another amp and maybe some tower speakers (nothing too extreme, maybe some bazooka tubbies) and possibly some LED spotlights on the tower... But not this season.

So, what would be the ideal size of alternator for me to get? 140 amp? 180 amp? 200 amp?

I know that I need a marine alternator. I know that I have a left hand PCM351. I get really confused with this CW/CCW stuff and want to be sure I'm shopping for the right thing.

Would any of these work for me?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-H...214c82&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-OUTPUT-...90b3cd&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-AMP-ALT...3c2f1a&vxp=mtr

I have heard people mention DB Electrical, but I'm not too keen on spending $300+ on a high amp alternator from them. I'd like to get as much bang for my buck as possible...

Thoughts?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

are you going to add another battery? i think i upgraded to a 140, it's been awhile though and that's just from memory.

check with a local electrical shop. they might be able to beef yours up or take yours on trade (plus some $) for a rebuilt. prob a cheaper option that just buying another.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    are you going to add another battery? i think i upgraded to a 140, it's been awhile though and that's just from memory.

check with a local electrical shop. they might be able to beef yours up or take yours on trade (plus some $) for a rebuilt. prob a cheaper option that just buying another.
    I already have dual deep cycle batteries with the Perko (1, 2, 1&2, off) switch.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post

I recommend the same I have found a local alternator and started rebuild shop and usually FAR less than a retail outlet.
    2007 24SSV
    66 18' Chris Craft Super Sport

Trayson,

What amperage alt do you currently have? 2nd, i mean no disrespect, but alts from DB are considered price-point upgrades as far as marine alternators go. They basically take a stock alternator and change some internals for a higher output. A quality upgrade marine alternator from someone like Belmar, can run $700+. My best advice is to take your system as a hole, into consideration and how you intend to use it. If you are looking to spend a number of hours at the sand bar/party cove each weekend jam'n the system, I would suggest a larger battery bank and a good shore charger to replenish it. Alternators make for poor battery chargers, even hi-amp ones.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    Trayson,

What amperage alt do you currently have? 2nd, i mean no disrespect, but alts from DB are considered price-point upgrades as far as marine alternators go. They basically take a stock alternator and change some internals for a higher output. A quality upgrade marine alternator from someone like Belmar, can run $700+. My best advice is to take your system as a hole, into consideration and how you intend to use it. If you are looking to spend a number of hours at the sand bar/party cove each weekend jam'n the system, I would suggest a larger battery bank and a good shore charger to replenish it. Alternators make for poor battery chargers, even hi-amp ones.
    Well, I was told by another Supra owner that I likely have a 50 amp alternator. I'm not 100% sure though.

How I'd anticipate using it is that I'd be playing music while I'm driving and probably playing music (not full tilt jamming) while we chill out and float along the river. Basically I figured it'd make sense to have a larger alternator so the charge can keep up during the day. At least that was my thought. Again, for this season I'm only running a 4x50 alpine and a Punch 360.2 mono to a single 10" sub. Not hardly impressive in the realm of boat systems!

I agree with Wylietunes add a third battery... I am running a total of 6 batteries in my 242 with 4 amps and have no problems...
    But it would not hurt to start looking to maybe find a little stronger alternator in the future... Good Luck...

2011 242 Supra Launch
    Stereo
    Wet Sound 4 Rev10s on Tower
    Wet Sound 8- 6 1/2 In Boat
    2 Rockford 12" P3 Subs
    Ballast Upgraded rear Bags 2 1100 lb
    ACME 2079 prop
    Shadow-Caster SCM-10 Under-Water LED
    All Blue LED Interior Lights

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Well, I was told by another Supra owner that I likely have a 50 amp alternator. I'm not 100% sure though.

How I'd anticipate using it is that I'd be playing music while I'm driving and probably playing music (not full tilt jamming) while we chill out and float along the river. Basically I figured it'd make sense to have a larger alternator so the charge can keep up during the day. At least that was my thought. Again, for this season I'm only running a 4x50 alpine and a Punch 360.2 mono to a single 10" sub. Not hardly impressive in the realm of boat systems!
    I think your real world stereo current draw will be about 60% of what you think it will be. This will fluctuate with volume levels and music type, but on average, I think its going to be less then what you think. With engine running, I do not see an issue with your current alternator keeping pace with a 2-3 mild amps, although it will add to the total work load. Heres the kicker, no matter the size or output of the alt, it will do absolutely nothing to extend the engine off stereo play time. I would focus my efforts on an adequate battery bank with the Ah's that will get you the play time you are looking for, without having to start and run the engine every 30 minutes. Once off the water, reply on a shore charger to replenish the batteries. A larger bank is also better for the batteries life span. 2 batteries depleted 50% is better then a single repeatedly run down to 0%.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    I think your real world stereo current draw will be about 60% of what you think it will be. This will fluctuate with volume levels and music type, but on average, I think its going to be less then what you think. With engine running, I do not see an issue with your current alternator keeping pace with a 2-3 mild amps, although it will add to the total work load. Heres the kicker, no matter the size or output of the alt, it will do absolutely nothing to extend the engine off stereo play time. I would focus my efforts on an adequate battery bank with the Ah's that will get you the play time you are looking for, without having to start and run the engine every 30 minutes. Once off the water, reply on a shore charger to replenish the batteries. A larger bank is also better for the batteries life span. 2 batteries depleted 50% is better then a single repeatedly run down to 0%.
    Makes sense. So, currently I have two batteries and a Perko Switch that looks like this:

If I got a 3rd or 4th battery, how would you suggest I wire them up?

Wire the 2nd house battery in parallel (+ to +/- to -) with the existing house battery. All loads, except the auto bilge B+, need to be wired to the C post of the switch.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio