Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

throwing this out there after dealing with all sorts of charging issues for the past two weeks. i just got my new alternator tested as bad from a local well-trusted alternator and starter shop. they said that they have the regular 61-amp alternator for PCM 351's for $160, and a 90-amp for $155. only difference is that the 90-amp doesn't have a provision for the EXC wire, it just has power/ground. anyone know how this would affect a boat with the PCM 351, if the excite wire wasn't hooked up? could be cheap upgrade for everyone if it's workable.

Quote Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
    throwing this out there after dealing with all sorts of charging issues for the past two weeks. i just got my new alternator tested as bad from a local well-trusted alternator and starter shop. they said that they have the regular 61-amp alternator for PCM 351's for $160, and a 90-amp for $155. only difference is that the 90-amp doesn't have a provision for the EXC wire, it just has power/ground. anyone know how this would affect a boat with the PCM 351, if the excite wire wasn't hooked up? could be cheap upgrade for everyone if it's workable.
    Those 1-wire alternators have the exciter built into them. Easy to install and eliminates several wires. I don't see a down-side.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

thanks for the response, wotan. i will go that route if the replacement from skidim doesn't work out.