Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks everybody. I ordered a new starter and will start working on it again Monday and will keep yall updated. Thanks!!

i installed a new starter from db electrical. now the boat starts easy and seems to be charging {boat runs with ground cable off batt} the old starter had a good bit of water in it....

Glad to hear it's working now, but you don't really want to disconnect the battery while the engine is running, not good for the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by slickscustoms View Post
    My boat seems to have some electrical issues I can't figure out. My alternator is putting out 12.5ish volts checked with a meter. I've roasted a new starter solenoid and melted the negative battery post on a brand new battery Sunday. Last night I replaced.the battery and solenoid and got it cranked. It was still dragging and not turning over easy. How does the battery receive voltage off the alternator to keep it charged? While it was running I removed the negative cable and the motor died instantly. That means theres no voltage returning to the battery correct...??
    The melted negative post is a clue. The area of high resistance is the connection/post area. You may need to repair the negative cable end terminal. The battery post and the cable connection point must be shiny metal clean, no oxidation and no oil or grease.

Check your cables for corrosion. My buddy had similar issues and it was corroded cables and corrosion inside the starter.
    89 Supra Saltare

As mentioned, I would probably get new cables for the boat. They can be a major headache if they are corroded. Call up an alternator shop in your area, ask if they make battery cables. They may, or will probably know who can. Pulls yours off, take them over and have them make new ones to match. Done and done. Should take you about an hours worth of actual work. And it's very good to do for your electrical system.

If you also change out alternators, look at the GM 1-wire type and run your feed directly back to your battery, or the perko switch with good cable. That will also help get a good solid charge.

Would you still have the Supra Comp TS6M wiring diagram? I'm new here and having electrical probs on my 87. Thanks in advance.

Go to google
    Type in “ supra boats manuals”
    Open the first link that shows
    Scroll down to bottom right
    They offer manual for ‘89
    Electrical diagram is included near back of manual
    Good luck

What is your alternator putting out now? Should be about 14.5v. I replaced mine and still wasn't getting more than 13.2v. Turns out Supra had a pretty lazy way of getting the alternator charge wire hooked to the battery. The 12 gauge wire was spliced into a couple of times before it made it's way to the battery cable at the starter solenoid. A couple feet of 2 gauge welding cable, some solder, heatshrink, and cable lugs gets all the current to the battery now! If you still have a low voltage situation you may want to open the wire loom and see if your charge wire is secure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I need the complete wiring diagram for an 86 supra comp ts6 m 351w carbureted