Default Coupler Question????

So I'm giving the boat a good going over before I hit the lake, and want to check the coupler alignment.... Anyways follow the instructions I found on the site, but when I loosened the bolts ( I actually took them right off) nothing happened. I tried knocking the coupler to separate them tried going underneath and pulling on the shaft, but nothing, no separation to be able to check the alignment. Any Suggestions, or should I not worry about it?

with the bolts loosened just bump the motor over .....usu enough to loosen the bond. if its been that long you may want to remove bolts completely and refrsh the mating surfaces to remove any oxidization
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by docdrs View Post
    with the bolts loosened just bump the motor over .....usu enough to loosen the bond. if its been that long you may want to remove bolts completely and refrsh the mating surfaces to remove any oxidization
    Bump the motor over? Explaineh vous, s'il vous plait.

The transmission shouldn't spin in neutral, so bumping the key may not do much. By 'bump' we mean, turn the key so the engine turns over but only a little, not enough to start it.

You can rotate the coupler and tap it with a big hammer repeatedly, rotating it a little each time. It should free up the mating surfaces. Then put a little heavy grease (e.g. spline grease or something, I use a Mercruiser/Quicksilver product called 101) between the two when you reassemble to prevent that problem in the future, like with alloy wheels "sticking" to disc brakes on a car.

got the bumping reference... but was wondering if it ment "bumping" the engine sideways a little. Will try this and see what happens.

You could also try the hot wrench. A little flame would probably separate them right off.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Just took a few "harder" knocks... alignment was good.
    Thanks all.