Default Brakes locking up

Hey guys, first post in here. Just picked up a 2002 SSV that I absolutely love so far (messed up and put 01 in my profile name - DOH!).

The guy I bought it from rarely if ever used the trailer as he had it on a lift in Austin most of the time.

The only issue so far has been with the trailer surge brakes where it was slamming forward and back when I braked and pulled forward. So after reading some posts on here and after calling the dealer in Austin where this boat was previously serviced I found out about the brake fluid reservoir on the trailer tongue.

Yesterday I filled the reservoir with some DOT 3 fluid and voila, the slamming forward and back stopped.

But on the way back from the lake yesterday something started smelling like it was burning. The ride back from the lake is about 20 minutes and when I finally parked I realized the burning was the trailer brakes. They were literally sizzling and like a hot pan when I poured water on them.

Any idea why they locked up?? Planning on going out again today and would like to save these brakes if possible. Thanks

PS If there is a post that covers this and I just haven't found it please let me know and we can remove this post.

could merely need to adjust the brakes themselves. Once had the same issue and a local tire store fixed the problem in 10 minute by backing off the brake pads a bit!

Brakes locking up could be that the emergency brake safety cable was pulled out.

More likely, though, you added new fluid to a system that was full of rust/gunk and the cylinders just jammed. You also need to bleed the lines if they were completely empty. I'd just get some new wheel cylinders (they are cheap -- $25/each through eTrailer.com) and then I'd bleed quite a bit of fluid through them to try and flush out the gunky lines. Get speed bleeders -- they make this whole process really, really easy.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

What kind of trailer is it? Does it have disc brakes or drums? You can't adjust disc brakes, but drums do have adjustability. Howd the resevoir tank look when you opened it up? Was it rusty? Bone dry?

What could also be happening is the piston in the brake calipers rusted since it sat so long. Brake fluid absorbs water, and water will rust/gunk up all the internal components of brakes, especially if it sits for a while. If you're not comfortable working on brakes yourself, take it in to a trailer service shop and have them inspect the brakes. It won't cost much, and they'll tell you exactly what needs to be done. Most will charge a diagnosis fee which is usually about an hours worth of their labor rate. Call around to some different shops and ask them what they charge for an inspection/diagnosis.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V