Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to remove pinstriping and supra wave

I am about to try and compound my supra and I am not sure how to safely removed the pin-striping. I have used the rubber wheels in the past, but not sure if there was a better way to take it off. I would normally work around it, but my hull need serious sanding and compounding.
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

if its just vinyl decal, then use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and it should peel off.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Wylietunes View Post
    if its just vinyl decal, then use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and it should peel off.
    Yeah I thought about that, but was afraid I would damage the gel coat
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

The heat gun method works well. It was how I removed the old registration number off of my boat when I purchased the boat. Just remember that the adhesive will absorb the heat so you can stand a risk of toasting your fingers...and now they stick to said fingers.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The stripe won't come off with heat. Use the 3M pin-stripe remover wheel..... Makes this PITA job easy as cake.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I found the rubber wheel works, but takes a long time. I used a box cutter blade and pulled the striping off as I CAREFULLY slid the blade behind the decal. Took me 15 minutes. Just keep the blade fairly flat against the hull.

Default How to remove pinstriping and supra wave

I used ammonia and water in a spray bottle and applied to decal and took a black trash bag and laid on top of it in the sun and let stand for 45 min to an hour. The ammonia breaks down the adhesive and makes it very easy to remove any decal. Just be sure not to get the overspray on any vinyl or other porous surfaces you might not want any fading or spotting on. I usually mask all around the area and cover where any liquid may run.
    After it's removed I cleaned with wax and grease remover and started applying the new graphics.

That's my opinion. Take it how you will. But good luck on whatever way you decide to proceed.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati.../dp/B000IHK2TY

Just removed a LOT of adhesive left behind from a wrap with one of these...great product. Don't forget the arbor.

So I went ahead and picked up a 3M eraser wheel from Advanced auto parts. I just used my corded Milwaukee electric drill and low to medium RPMS and it came off easily. It did take a little while and was pretty tedious, but it did not damage the paint at all. My hope is to refinish the gel and put a new more subtle wave and pinstripe on.

Before

side before.jpg
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

After

photo.jpg
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM