Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Interesting concept. please keep us updated.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I'm curious to see how that holds up. How does it attach to the swim deck?
    For testing i'll just use a strap from the boats tie down to the back of the surfgate, water pressure should hold it tight against the swimdeck and the strap should hopefully keep it from sliding off the deck. If it works good enough i'll use 2 ram mounts to attach it to the bottom of the swim deck, that way i can easily switch it from side to side.
    Function before fashion!

It's snowing right now and that isn't helping!
    Function before fashion!

We have bags in our ski locker and under the rear seat like you. I usually fill them about half way and then I use the Fly High 750# bag on the floor next to the engine on the surf side. I have a 350# bag down in the bilge area under the cooler that I usually keep full, then we experiment from there. I've put as much as two more 350# bags in the back corner of the surf side and a 350# on the surf side in the bow.

Cool. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to start with making sure the basics are covered.

Like I said, I already have the single bag under the rear seats and the Ballast Puppy pump. So, I'll add to that a bag in the rear locker and connect that to my Ballast Puppy pump. I'll use an over the side Tsunami pump to fill a big bag beside the engine and the smaller bag that's in the front locker/cooler at the rear of the playpen.

I just put in an order to Wakemakers.com after talking to Spencer. Turns out he's local to me and lives under an hour away. Great company to deal with!

I ordered:
    • Fly High Pro X Series Tube Sac (ski locker 62x16x10)
    • Fly High Pro X-Series fat sac (50x20x20)
    • Flow Rite quick release connector
    • Fly High 3/4" threaded quick release adapter
    • New Premium Green impeller for the Ballast Puppy pump (I think my current impeller is wearing out and leaking)
    • Stainless Steel Clamps
    • 3/4" Black Ballast Hose

And I went to the hardware store and picked up:
    • 3/4" barbed T Fitting
    • 3/4" brass Ball Valve
    • two 3/4" threaded barbed fittings to attach to the above valve

quick release fittings:

Last edited by trayson; 05-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

My buddies have a Moomba and they upgraded through wakemakers. Now it's just a matter of playing around with bag locations.
    Function before fashion!

Okay, so I went out today and had a full tank of gas and the under the seat bag full. I had a 145 pound driver, a buddy that was 235 in the passenger seat, and another buddy that was probably 280 sitting in the port rear corner. I tried surfing between 9.5 and 11 mph. I had to use the rope the whole time. BUT, what I found interesting is that the rear corner was just about at the rub rail when we were underway. So, I'm wondering what would happen if we added more ballast??? I certainly wouldn't want to sink the rub rail much more. *scary*

I didn't have the small front bag filled that would go in the cooler/locker at the rear of the playpen though...

Thoughts??
    Last edited by trayson; 06-01-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Default Help me optimize the ballast for my 92 Sunsport DD for a surf wake.

Add ballast to the bow on the surf side so you can start to create a pocket. The pocket is what will allow you to surf without the rope.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Add ballast to the bow on the surf side so you can start to create a pocket. The pocket is what will allow you to surf without the rope.
    I agree, when you have all the weight in the rear you get a very steep but short wave(small pocket). Adding weight to the bow will lengthen the wave and make it slightly less steep(longer pocket).
    Function before fashion!

That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like I'll have some trial and error to dial it in when my ballast shows up. I can't wait. Right now I'm 100% on the rope with my lack of surf wake. My left arm is so sore!