Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

i would get a newer diesel to tow. yes fuel is a little more, but i also get 18mpg not towing with my 6.0 excursion (egr delete, head studs, full exhaust, k&n intake, edge chip) and when im towing either a new z3, or rz4 tige for demo's i get about 16-17. well worth the extra fuel price IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ramzak View Post
    I am a CONSERVATIVE, and as such, I will no longer buy vehicles from companies Obama bailed out. I drove Tahoe's until that day. Sold both of them and bought an F-150 for me and an Explorer for the wife.
    That doesn't sound like a rash decision at all. I can understand selling them if you truly did not like the vehicle anymore. Plenty of municipalities and companies have received some form of funding or financial protection from the government at times. Heck, pretty much all of the big airlines took a bail out from the government post 9/11...do you still fly the most convenient airline or do you know or even avoid doing business with the evil companies that received a handout from the government or just a handout from the Obama government? Just curious is all...
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

If you are pulling long distances or a heavy load find a used dodge with the Cummings..... I never have a problem with power or even emergency stopping power.... unloaded I get 21-22 on the highway and 17-19 with the boat and the family and all our gear. it is an 04 2500 Quad cab short bed and I got it for 21k with only 50k on the odometer... I also think it rides better then a titan does just my 2 cents worth

For towing and for the ride you just can't beat a duramax. Got mine like this for 13'500 with 107,000miles. Thats just barely broke in.

Trim: LT Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door
    Engine: 6.6L 400Cu. In. V8 DIESEL OHV Turbocharged
    6.6 LITER DURAMAX DIESEL ENGINE
    ALLISON TRANSMISSION
    6" RANCHO SUSPENSION LIFT
    DANA VELVET RIDE SHACKLES
    SUPER SPRING LEAF SPRING HELPERS
    HELLWIG SWAY BAR
    COATED RANCH HAND FRONT & REAR BUMPERS WITH DUAL RECEIVERS
    HELLA OFF ROAD LIGHTS
    TEFLON COATED 16" RIMS
    315 PRO COMP XTREME M/T TIRES
    WESTON BLACK NERF BARS
    EDGE PRODUCTS PROGRAMMER WITH DIGITAL GAGE
    AFE COLD AIR INTAKE
    CUSTOM 4" EXHAUST
    RHINO LININGS SPRAYED BED & BUMPERS
    A.R.E. COLOR MATCHED BED CAP
    TINTED WINDOWS
    PARROT STEREO/BLUETOOTH WITH AMP & SUBWOOFER
    Function before fashion!

Originally Posted by ramzak
    I am a CONSERVATIVE, and as such, I will no longer buy vehicles from companies Obama bailed out. I drove Tahoe's until that day. Sold both of them and bought an F-150 for me and an Explorer for the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    That doesn't sound like a rash decision at all. I can understand selling them if you truly did not like the vehicle anymore. Plenty of municipalities and companies have received some form of funding or financial protection from the government at times. Heck, pretty much all of the big airlines took a bail out from the government post 9/11...do you still fly the most convenient airline or do you know or even avoid doing business with the evil companies that received a handout from the government or just a handout from the Obama government? Just curious is all...
    additionally, many companies got into trouble when the financing they rely on dried up as the result of the housing fiasco. more of a domino effect than these businesses causing the problems.

along this line of thinking i'm sure you don't associate with people who defaulted on mortgages or who are underwater on their homes as the result of refinancing cash out of them? there's plenty of blame to spread around.

politics over...i've got a burban with the apparently dreaded 5.3. it gets my saltare where we need to go but admittedly it often needs high rpms to do it. that means first gear up the big hills in my neighborhood. rides smooth otherwise.

There's a BIG difference between the 4.7 Tundra and the 5.8 Tundra. If you're considering the 4.7, I'd just keep running the X5. I doubt the smaller Tundra would tow any better. If you're considering a 5.8 Tundra or the Titan, then it's just a matter of preference.

My Dad has the Tundra and I have the Titan. I've towed with both. They are both very solid towing trucks. I prefer my Titan and have been towing an 8,000 pound camper for about 5 years with it. Towing my Saltare is a breeze.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

welllllll..... I towed mine about 200 mi to from central OK to far Eastern OK every weekend...so, sold my 08' burb and got a 12' Jimmy duramax... yes, it's overkill but the mileage and power make life a breeze... but I tow alot of big stuff as part of the business so I can understand not everyone can rationalize dropping 60k on a tow rig if you can't part 179 the expense... I had a 02 F250 for a few years and loved it...but I think I love my GMC a little more...I think the Supra is probably by far the lightest chore the pickup has to endure...very good quality and comfort...minus the damn DEF tank BS - that's a fundraiser right there!
    05' Launch 22SSV
    Saepe Expertus - Semper Fidelis - Fratres Aeterni

I think a big thing to consider is how much and what type of towing, highway vs town, 500miles vs 3000miles. For me, I don't trailer the sunsport more than 2 miles a year however, hauling the Yamaha Grizzly and gear a great I get better millage with the Denali (15.9mpg) than the Tacoma (14mpg). The Denali does not have to work nearly as hard and can maintain 75mph without issue, the Tacoma likes sub-65mph. Around town I get 19.5mpg with the Tacoma and 16.2mpg with the Denali.

After owning a 6.0 I would not hesitate to own another, esp. over the gm 5.3(decent) or ford 5.4(total dog). If you tow more than average and can afford a diesel it will more than pay for itself in fuel and fun factor, over the years.

If those are the only two truck options I would pick the Toyota, seems like the resale value alone would make it a better bet. However, I would not limit myself if possible. I have a co-worker who hauls a decent sized horse trailer with the Titan and really likes it.

I've owned a 99 f250 diesel, an 08 f250 diesel , and now I have an 2011 f150 5.0 . I was very sceptical as to how the f150 would pull since I have owned nothing but diesel trucks but I have to say the new 5.0 is pretty decent.

Well, I decided. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Tundra. I ended up looking at consumer reports and I like the reliability of the Tundra. I also talked to a few people that are extremely happy with theirs and one of them has 250k miles on his and it still runs like new.

My girl did find a Tahoe for a killer deal and is trying to convince me to go for it but I think I already made up my mind. Anyways, just like Zim pointed out. You never know when you need to pull a space shuttle through downtown LA...