Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Better truck/tow vehicle - 2007 Tundra SR5 or 2008 Titan LE

I am thinking about upgrading my tow vehicle. I currently have a 2005 x5 4.4 BMW. It can tow my '86 Sunsport with no real issues but I think I would be a bit more comfortable with a truck. I'm sure this will spark some debate with you guys due to preference but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion since it'll be the first truck I buy.

I'm trying to decide between a 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 and a 2008 Nissan Titan LE. They are both very comparable to everything: both crew cab, about the same price/mileage, leather seats, etc. The only difference is that the Tundra has a 4.7L V8 while the Titan has a 5.6L V8 -although I know the Tundra won't have an issue towing my boat and since the boat is the biggist thing I will be towing it's not that big of a deal. Plus, it might save a bit on gas.

Everyone's opinions/comments welcome!

I've towed my Comp with three different vehicles with three different drivetrain packages. I've towed it locally with an RX350, locally and long distance with a GX470 and now my Denali. I mention this because the drivetrain package of the GX470 is going to be very near to the drivetrain package in the Tundra. I also hope Mapleleaf chimes in because he has a 5.7L Tundra now and he also has a 4.7L Sequoia that he tows his Conbrio with. The 4.7 liter will handle it just fine but it really can be a turd when it comes to acceleration and maintaining speed up even the slightest hills at highway speeds compared to anything with a larger engine. I actually get better gas mileage towing now with my Denali which has the 6.0L engine in it that I did with the GX. My vote would be the Titan for the greater displacement.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I tow my 20V with a Titan 5.7L and it does fine. Goes up and down hills well, accellerates fine, brakes fine, etc. The one drawback is the gas mileage. Not towing, it gets 12-13mpg and drops to 9-10 when loaded. Other than the gas, it's a great truck.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

My 2007 GMC Sierra has no problems hauling my boat around. As long as you get a full-size truck, you shouldn't have any problems towing your boat around. Unless you are just going to be using the truck for towing, I'd base my choice around all the other important aspects of buying a truck, and just keeping the towing aspect in mind, not as the governing criteria.

And just saying...this is the third GMC owner in this thread that is happy with their towing vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by whammond View Post
    And just saying...this is the third GMC owner in this thread that is happy with their towing vehicle...
    Just as long as your Government Motors product doesn't come with the 5.3L turd of a motor, it should be fine.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Just as long as your Government Motors product doesn't come with the 5.3L turd of a motor, it should be fine.
    I agree that the 5.3L is a powder puff of an engine and will always be hunting for the right gear and downshifting all the time as soon as you start up a 0.01% grade change. Again, there really is no replacement for displacement when it comes to towing. My 6.0L averages 16MPG since I took ownership of it last year. I average 18-20 when I am not towing and 11-12 towing, mainly at highway speeds or 5-10 MPH when I am at the lake. I hardly even notice the boat back there, only when I glance in my rear view mirror do I go, "Oh yeah, the boat is back there."
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

My buddy has the Tundra with the 5.7 (or 5.8 ) and it runs laps around my F-150 with the 5.4.

Most of the guys I run with run diesels, some gassers. But no one runs the Titan. To me that means a lot. I looked at them, but their small rear differential just looked like a grenade waiting to blow. I'm not a fan of Nissan interiors much though. I like the Tundras, a co-worker has the bodystyle right before these new ones. It's a nice truck, well put together, rides nice, etc. As for how it tows, no real experience.

Me, personally, I'd lean towards the Tundra before the Nissan.

Be an intelligent Patriot, buy an F-150 and be done with it

Quote Originally Posted by ramzak View Post
    Be an intelligent Patriot, buy an F-150 and be done with it
    Ecoboost would treat him well
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Q: What do you call a Ford F-150 with dual exhausts?
    A: A wheelbarrow

Btw, no one offers a V8 with over 300 hp and over 21 highway miles per gallon like the GMC Sierra XFE. Not Toyota Tundra. Not Ford F-150. Not Ram 1500.

My Denali has Active Fuel Management which is able to temporarily deactivate four of the eight cylinders. I get 14-16 mpg towing and my truck weighs over 6000 lbs.
    That's all fine and good... but can it pull a space shuttle through LA?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V