Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Blow Out

Tow Master is what I have run since 2001 (single and tandem). We wear the tires out for the mileage before they have a chance to dry rot.
    I actually overinflate by 5 - 10 lbs (less friction = less heat) and has worked for me. (They last about 5 yrs before replacing for us).

Before a long haul, I also jack them up and give them a spin to make sure there is no visible wobble (broken belt, bubble) and no friction/drag (wheel bearing or brake).

I think it also depends on the environment they are stored in as to how some areas have no issues and others do. (Cooler/cloudier PA weather vs Hot and Sunny AZ).
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Ngavdba - you might be onto something that Carlisle used to be quality. They're a big name in business, but if you browse some RV forums (they're the factory tire on a lot of RVs) y'all find their name trashed. I didn't jump on that bandwagon just because others did, but after my experience I'm joining the ranks.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I've run Goodyear and a bunch of other brands... had blow outs every yr - (200 mile to the lake and I tend to be heavy footed) - anyhow - I run about 5 psi over max now and also had the trailer tire/wheels balanced... now blow outs are a non issue... semed to solve my chronic problem...that and now keeping it at the lake!
    05' Launch 22SSV
    Saepe Expertus - Semper Fidelis - Fratres Aeterni

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    I have Carlisle tires on my trailer. 20 years and going strong.
    You have 20 year old tires on your trailer???????

Default Tire Blow Out

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    You have 20 year old tires on your trailer???????
    He's been looking for the original tires to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his boat though that has proven to be a challenge.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I have Carlisle tires on my trailer and no problems,,,,,,,,,,,butttttt also used Goodyear Marathons and had blow outs.
    Just my two cents...I thought the Goodyear Marathons were excellent until they failed.

Checkmate! The joke is on you.
    Haha, well played sir... Can you work on dressing up that spare a little though? I am surprised you allow that spare to ride on that trailer next to your boat looking like that!

The old bias plied trailer tires are king for demolition derbies. My good friend had been running the same set for years. Yes they are double tired but tough as they come. Personally most trailer tires of today are junk.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Default Silly me

Checkmate again? (I don't play chess so that probably doesn't work twice in a row) This is too easy. Harder challenge please. Will this suffice?
    You seriously think I would drive around with that exposed? It's part of the reason the trailer got new wheels and tires a long time ago. It's like you don't know me tonight.
    The fact that you just put a band aid over it so to speak is odd... You don't strike me as being overly particular with all aspects of your boat but yet you allow this "skeleton" in the closet to exist so to speak...

Default Tire Blow Out

El problema con la cubierta de la llanta es que fue claramente hecho en Mexico señor.
    Last edited by Jetlink; 06-05-2013 at 12:52 AM.